RO updated...

Peopleperson49

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  218
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1180

Is there anyway to take the RO2 game engine and use it for the classic RO? Part of the reason RO2 did horibble was the fact that they changed to much stuff to make it more like WOW. But if we could incorporate the game play from the classic RO with the advanced graphics of RO2 then I think it would take the world by storm! Just a thought.

Peopleperosn49

• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  303

RO2 seems to use Gamebryo engine that doesn't have a free version, but it can be done using some other modern engine like UDK3. Games like Lineage 2 and Blade n' Soul are made with it.

The most painful task would be recreate all actors models(maybe just one model with different skins?), port all custom files like .str, .spr, .act, .rsm(or create a custom reader for them). Maps will need some special tool to be ported, i don't think that udk can read another type of map file.

My thought was more to just take the game that they already created and just use our game engine setup. Maybe transfer what you can over to the UDK3 or something similar. Make the 3d graphics work with RO1 classes, how stats work, atk tables, mob info, etc... Just leave what they programed to work as our grf's do. Once a base game is working we can always add more stuff to get the items and stuff back to what it is in RO1. Just imagine when the first private RO1 server came out, it couldn't be all that different. I know it is never as easy as it sounds, but RO2 did a decent job of recreating the character and monster look, but that was about where they stopped. Mobs responded differently, the stats wearn't the same. They got rid of the merchant class went toward "trades". It was too big of a change. About all I did liked was the 3d and there card system. They gave monster card drops one of 3 different ratings based on card color. Gold was the lowest drop rate and that was for MVP cards only, at least as far as I can remember since I didn't really play enough to get cards, lol. Thanks for reply.

Peopleperson49

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  28

IF what you want is just to make the 3D models of RO2 (LotS, right? Not GotW?), then you could probably do it if you create a custom client that can read the models. The main problem would be to have the 3D models work like in the first game, and that may may be very resource intensive (ol computers might not run the game at all). You'd also be faced with making the whole world fit the characters (actually make the world around them feel like it was made for people like them) if you ever are interested in making the players interact with it (something that most people will be keen to try), like sitting on chair the way people would do normally. At that point, you are better off designing a server system from scratch to fit your client.

So, yeah, although you can say for certain that it's possible, it's not safe to say it's feasible in any length of the word.

What about taking the crapy RO2 that they created the 3D enviroment for and then just resource it back with what RO1 was?

Peopleperson49

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  28

It can be done, but a lot of things will be lost intranslation or would look wonky. One such thing that will be directly affected would be the freedom of movement; the 3D world of RO2 isn't designed with a grid in mind, so you would have to either recode the server to support the Cartesian coordinate system on all 3 axises and bounding boxes (how the world of RO2 is deisgned, or you would have to "frankernstein" the current RO1 bi-axial system for movement. Either one doesn't work with the other well, and both would require a great effort to implement in any remotely acceptable manner.

Like I said, it can be done, but you're always better off getting the thing to work from scratch. Code a server system from scrat that would take the current formulas and make it work. Code a custom client made with the intent heavily use 3D models instead of 2D sprite chars (I can't stress this enough, don't use xray, sakexe, ragexe, ragexeRE, etc. I think Open Ragnarok was working on the premise that you could make RO1 3D. Dunno how fas have they gone or if that ide has been dropped.). Rework animations to so that really fast movements don't screw up your computer's resources or the models themselves and so that they don't look weird when they go 193 on each other (remember the high-speed movement effect they use in anime/manga? well, that can be one way of doing it).

You could therotically use the current RO formats and tools to works as the package system, but at that point if you're going to use a 3D engine to make the game, you may as wekk go full throttle and use the tools and formate provided by the engine itself, that is, if you're not willing to work through the whole process of making new tools and support the file formates to read the new game models and animations and what not.