[Updating Through SVN] To always compile or Just Directly Edit?

Robotculator

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24

Hello! I just downloaded fresh copy of rAthena through SVN,

then I just realized,

What if rAthena SVN produced fresh modifications. I got three questions sirs/madams:

1. So, after check out, should I re-compile it again or just manually directly edit the files needed?

2. Btw, am I doing this right? I check out through folder A, then edit necessary stuffs to files in folder A, lastly compile the contents of folder A. Afterwards, copy the contents of folder A to folder B, then run the server using folder B. If there are new modifications to SVN, i just checkout, on folder A. then, edit necessary stuffs then compile then copy it all over again to folder B. Is this right?

Thanks in advance and more power.

3. BTW, will rAthena will always *quarterly* release stable compiled version of each rAthena every stable revision?

THANKS! and long live rAthena!

1 answer to this question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  737

If you doing it right I'd say yeah more or less.

1st we need to agree on definittion :

chekout = fetching content from svn

merge A and B = fusion content B to A (taking more recent line in revision and apllying to A, may lead to conflict if those line have local modification)

update = checkout + merge.

So right now if I understand it right you're doing this :

checkout on content A.

applying custom on content A.

checking compilation of dir A.

copying to folder B.

running server with folder B.

right ?

So here we can quickly see that depend how you do the copy but you don't checking folder B compilation and running it, assuming folder B is a remote host makefile specification may vary, you may have missing librairie and stuff...

So here is really like you're running a precompiled server in B.

Imo I'd prefer copying then recompile then run, sound saffer.

2nd merging issue, dunno if you doing it for a while and if you have manny modifications but :

1) We usually chekout content once then only running update.

2) I personally prefer A to be a real copy of svn and adding the mod in B, this force you to check compilation on final version but also that the main point avoid conflicts.

With a quick diff like meld, beyond compare, kompare... you can easely track them.

3) You may want to use merge fonction instead doing it manually like it seem, but actually that not so bad cause you really know what you're doing like that (manually).

got it ?

Then to finish with the remote stuff you may put your B dir in version control, do the modifications and commit. (We assum A and B are local here)

Back on our prod server we're fetching content of repo B rebuild and launch.

Or you could just transfert B via ftp (but versioning better so you could fallback easily keep history and such).