Hosting Opinion - One of the most frequently asked question.

Gouki

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  241

If you were to buy a hosting, what do you consider based from your experience? What is your go to options/settings?

Ofcourse Dedicated is better but...
CPU: AMD / INTEL XEON / INTEL I Series ?
CORES/GHz: ?
Memory: ?
Public Bandwidth: Does this matter? ex. 500mbps/unmetered enough?

I know most developers would say, rAthena could run on the most cheapest VPS. But, what I'm looking for is your experiences where you had the most stable connection even reaching 500+ people on the server.
I had experiences, owning a Dedicated Game Server in OVH and still gives Latency issues where in time, when your character walks on a straight path you'd notice it to turn back once in a while. (not sure if this is server issue tho)

Share your go to Hosting Provider and dedicated server specifications if you are expecting a high volume of people on your server (500 - 1,000) , better if it's direct company like OVH, Digital Ocean, ETC.. THANK YOU!

1 answer to this question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1537

9 hours ago, Almond Snicker said:

If you were to buy a hosting, what do you consider based from your experience? What is your go to options/settings?

Ofcourse Dedicated is better but...
CPU: AMD / INTEL XEON / INTEL I Series ?
CORES/GHz: ?
Memory: ?
Public Bandwidth: Does this matter? ex. 500mbps/unmetered enough?

I know most developers would say, rAthena could run on the most cheapest VPS. But, what I'm looking for is your experiences where you had the most stable connection even reaching 500+ people on the server.
I had experiences, owning a Dedicated Game Server in OVH and still gives Latency issues where in time, when your character walks on a straight path you'd notice it to turn back once in a while. (not sure if this is server issue tho)

Share your go to Hosting Provider and dedicated server specifications if you are expecting a high volume of people on your server (500 - 1,000) , better if it's direct company like OVH, Digital Ocean, ETC.. THANK YOU!

From my experience in South East Asia, not all ISP are having good route peering. For example connection from South East Asia to China will result to high latency to some route connection.

So, you need to know which datacenter are good to host the server/application. They can use VPN or you can provide proxy but yeah this need more effort on this.

About specification, dont bother so much about it, use cloud server and you can easily upgrade the specification if needed. Windows based OS usually need higher specification compare to Linux based.