Black Screen after updating rAthena

someonenoone11

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7

I had a perfectly working rAthena, Client, and openserver.

I deleted my old rAthena (i dont use git, I manually cloned it), installed the latest rAthena (download, compile, and run), and deleted and reinstalled the sql tables on openserver.

All 3 servers run fine. Client starts up fine, character is created fine. But once I select the character, I get a black screen.

I hear the BGM. I hear the creaking. But then the creaking stops, on task manager it says the client is "not responding". I can't switch windows because the client is on top of everything except the task manager. The BGM continues but I can't do anything. no characters, no map, nothing. Even after I kill the client with task manager the servers don't report any errors.

So... how to fix? I'd like to emphasize client was working perfectly before updating rAthena. rAthena and the sql tables were literally the only things I changed. I even manually moved my character from the starting izlude interior to a prontera field and still black screen and not responding.

4 answers to this question

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3123

4 hours ago, someonenoone11 said:

I had a perfectly working rAthena, Client, and openserver.

I deleted my old rAthena (i dont use git, I manually cloned it), installed the latest rAthena (download, compile, and run), and deleted and reinstalled the sql tables on openserver.

All 3 servers run fine. Client starts up fine, character is created fine. But once I select the character, I get a black screen.

I hear the BGM. I hear the creaking. But then the creaking stops, on task manager it says the client is "not responding". I can't switch windows because the client is on top of everything except the task manager. The BGM continues but I can't do anything. no characters, no map, nothing. Even after I kill the client with task manager the servers don't report any errors.

So... how to fix? I'd like to emphasize client was working perfectly before updating rAthena. rAthena and the sql tables were literally the only things I changed. I even manually moved my character from the starting izlude interior to a prontera field and still black screen and not responding.

There are several things wrong with this post.

I urge you, almost hysterically, to learn to update your code via git. There is literally no reason on the planet that should stop you from learning to manage your code correctly.

Without seeing errors/error codes/consoles/core dump/error handlers, I can only assume that something is different in the way packets are being sent to your client (which you would know, if you used git). Since you deleted your old code, I imagine it may be a little difficult to pinpoint.

What was the git hash of your old rA?

What is the new hash of your rA?

What is your client date?

Are you in Renewal or Pre-Renewal mode?

• Love 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  7

1 hour ago, Akkarin said:

There are several things wrong with this post.

I urge you, almost hysterically, to learn to update your code via git. There is literally no reason on the planet that should stop you from learning to manage your code correctly.

Without seeing errors/error codes/consoles/core dump/error handlers, I can only assume that something is different in the way packets are being sent to your client (which you would know, if you used git). Since you deleted your old code, I imagine it may be a little difficult to pinpoint.

What was the git hash of your old rA?

What is the new hash of your rA?

What is your client date?

Are you in Renewal or Pre-Renewal mode?

This is for solo offline private use only so I don't intend to update unless there is a huge gameplay change. I noticed comet got an overhaul so I thought I'd update to see if rAthena implemented the overhaul because that comet change is huge (magical intoxication status along with significant sp cost reduction) and I play warlock.

There is no error/error codes. It's just black screen and then not responding shortly after, which you can't tell without having task manager up. It doesn't crash, it just black screen forever, can't switch windows for some reason, and bgm continues to play. If there was an error code I would've pasted it here.

old sha: 36a02685d50fae4d4203498a953dd0b318315b7b
current sha: f0f1acef2250773485040aa914540a53dae4de50f0f1ace

Client date: 2018-04-18b

Renewal.

Edited by someonenoone11

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3123

46 minutes ago, someonenoone11 said:

This is for solo offline private use only so I don't intend to update unless there is a huge gameplay change.

Broken mechanics are being fixed all the time - your previous hash is from March, a lot has changed since then and I'm not sifting through all those changes.

45 minutes ago, someonenoone11 said:

Client date: 2018-04-18b

You compiled for the correct client version?

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  60

I had the same issue after I did a setup myself. I fixed the issue by setting the correct packetversion in the defines_pre.hpp file. Like Akkarin stated bevore me.

Seems to be the same issue I had,make sure to set your packet version correctly!

Find your defines_pre.hpp file and make sure to add the correct client packet verision: 

For me (Im using the 20.06.2018 EXE/CLIENT) it looks like this:

// Copyright (c) rAthena Dev Teams - Licensed under GNU GPL
// For more information, see LICENCE in the main folder

#ifndef CONFIG_CUSTOM_DEFINES_PRE_HPP
#define CONFIG_CUSTOM_DEFINES_PRE_HPP

/**
 * rAthena configuration file (http://rathena.org)
 * For detailed guidance on these check http://rathena.org/wiki/SRC/config/
 **/

#endif /* CONFIG_CUSTOM_DEFINES_PRE_HPP */
#define PACKETVER 20180620

Edited by Vincentore