How can I contributing to rathena project?

snowzera

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4

Hi guys! I'm working  as software engineering in Brazil. I want to start contribute to rathena project but for a long time I didn't work with C or C++.

Do you have some tips for understand the project architecture?

How can I start the project locally?

I have vim and atom here. Is it enough to working on rathena project?

I just want some help to make my life easy to start working on this project.

Thank you all!

5 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1096

Usually software engineers reading documentation. Then, they are trying to setup software on their own side and try to play with it, and only then after some big amount of time and experience with code they can start contributing software and imagine how it works, etc. Your question looks like you have no idea where you are and what is it rAthena, etc. And you can probably make more issues then implementing new features or fixing bugs. First of all you should have RO gameplay experience to understand this very hard game how it works, mechanic behavior, etc. Then, you should to have administrator experience (hosting server where people playing), after administrating it, you will find a lot of issues and you will understand a lot of problems in rAthena which need to rewrite, make better, or fix bugs. First of all, you can start to read /doc/ folder but there to be clear no any normal documentation at all. Then, after some time when you will be good game administrator you will find a lot of problems. If you wish to help current contributors to help with rA and you don't playing Ragnarok Online, there will be a lot of troubles in my opinion, then benefits.

Start from here: https://github.com/rathena/rathena/wiki

Maybe in one day you will be good contributor, who knows. 

Hello my friend! I have been part of the RO for more than 10 years, I have run several private servers. Currently I'm working on a new version of online database for the RO world. However, I'm going back to the ragnarok online world and intend to reopen another server. Today I have a great experience as a software developer and I want to contribute to the rathena community, which many years ago helped me with my private servers (for fun). The main point of my question regarding the rathena project is that I am very sorry for the lack of documentation to know where to start or which bugsfixes I could contribute. I can contribute more than implementing bugs ... I know everything in the RO world without having to consult anything. I'm only thinking about contributing to the project, because I've used it for many years without any contribution. Now is the time to help! I have already looked at the project and I also cloned it, however all the documentation I see is for people who want to create their private server and not to contribute code. That was the main reason for me to open this topic. I just need a help with the initial foot tip to understand the design structure, how to run the automated tests and also the default for pull request.

I found your stance a bit wrong because I did not know the RO world. I am here to help.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1096

25 minutes ago, snowzera said:

Hello my friend! I have been part of the RO for more than 10 years, I have run several private servers. Currently I'm working on a new version of online database for the RO world. However, I'm going back to the ragnarok online world and intend to reopen another server. Today I have a great experience as a software developer and I want to contribute to the rathena community, which many years ago helped me with my private servers (for fun). The main point of my question regarding the rathena project is that I am very sorry for the lack of documentation to know where to start or which bugsfixes I could contribute. I can contribute more than implementing bugs ... I know everything in the RO world without having to consult anything. I'm only thinking about contributing to the project, because I've used it for many years without any contribution. Now is the time to help! I have already looked at the project and I also cloned it, however all the documentation I see is for people who want to create their private server and not to contribute code. That was the main reason for me to open this topic. I just need a help with the initial foot tip to understand the design structure, how to run the automated tests and also the default for pull request.

I found your stance a bit wrong because I did not know the RO world. I am here to help.

this introducing part changes a lot of things then. Wait  for core developers answers. I though you are software developer with 0 experience in Ragnarok Online.

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  806

Yeah it's confusing, if you have run several servers already, why are you asking for the project architecture or how to start a project locally? You probably must have at least compiled the code already by now and even tweaked it for your server, no?

Generally I'd say you need Visual Studio and Git, as well as a client that can connect to your locally compiled test server. If you want to help it's best to start out posting fixes on github issues and once you are more advanced, you can even create pull requests.

https://github.com/rathena/rathena

1. Checkout the sources via Git

2. Open the project in Visual Studio

3. Do your settings (e.g. enable PRERE define if you want pre-renewal, set packet version, maybe set IPs but local should be default afaik)

4. Compile

5. Run login, char and map server

6. Connect with the client to your local server

Done.

Thank you Playtester. I'll go back to run the local server and update myself from what has changed in the project. The main question was about to automated testing, design patterns, and architecture. When you create your own server, most of the time you only have to change the configuration and not the source code. Do you understand what I mean?