Difference between VPS and dedicated server for RO

Noctis

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  226

Whats the difference if i host my server on a vps or on a dedicated server? , and when i buy a dedicated server how can i transfer my server files (client, emulator etc...)?

Edited by Exmas

14 answers to this question

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  587

VPS is a virtual machine running on a real server. A server usually runs more than one virtual machine. That means resources on the server are shared between multiple VPS (based on OpenVZ virtualization which VPS providers usually use).

Dedicated server is a whole real server that you rent from the provider.

VPS is a virtual machine running on a real server. A server usually runs more than one virtual machine. That means resources on the server are shared between multiple VPS (based on OpenVZ virtualization which VPS providers usually use).

Do you know any guide on this forum that teach how to run a ragnarok server on a dedicated server or vps?

Do you know any guide on this forum that teach how to run a ragnarok server on a dedicated server or vps?

https://rathena.org/wiki/Category:Installation

VPS behaves just like a real machine in term of running programs. So there's no difference between the two on running rAthena :)

VPS behaves just like a real machine in term of running programs. So there's no difference between the two on running rAthena :)

Thanks :D, and another question,imagine that i buy a dedicated server, to configure for run my server i need to configure on CentOS? all dedicated servers are on centOS? sorry i dont know nothing about this, I've never buy a dedicated server or a vps

No, a dedicated server is a computer you can do anything with. It can run any OS as long as the hardware supports it, including Windows.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  208

Thanks :D, and another question,imagine that i buy a dedicated server, to configure for run my server i need to configure on CentOS? all dedicated servers are on centOS? sorry i dont know nothing about this, I've never buy a dedicated server or a vps

No you can select the one you know distribution on linux Like centos is the most easiest and always use for hosting server.

No you can select the one you know distribution on linux Like centos is the most easiest and always use for hosting server.

So if i choose CentOS i need tu put codes all time on putty to configure my server? like "-cmd.....", imagine that i want to change a thing on the rates, i need to put codes etc to change the rates and access the file?

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  386

If you are new at server installation, you should go for a VPS, 90% of the hosts gives you VPS with a rAthena ready to use, and easy configure commands like

./configure
./athena-start start
./athena-start stop
./athena-start restart

If you are new at server installation, you should go for a VPS, 90% of the hosts gives you VPS with a rAthena ready to use, and easy configure commands like

./configure
./athena-start start
./athena-start stop
./athena-start restart

Thanks

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  26

Go for VPS. It seems like you're new to server stuffs. Servers are just computers but with more powerful hardwares because it will be used for heavy stuffs (most of the time).

And VPS/Dedicated servers are not limited to Linux, there are Windows-based servers. CentOS is just a Linux distro. Examples of Linux Distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc.

You can try practicing server stuffs on your Windows PC. Just install VirtualBox and install whatever OS you would want to use in your server or use the OS the hosting provider you want to buy from uses.

Go for VPS. It seems like you're new to server stuffs. Servers are just computers but with more powerful hardwares because it will be used for heavy stuffs (most of the time).

And VPS/Dedicated servers are not limited to Linux, there are Windows-based servers. CentOS is just a Linux distro. Examples of Linux Distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc.

You can try practicing server stuffs on your Windows PC. Just install VirtualBox and install whatever OS you would want to use in your server or use the OS the hosting provider you want to buy from uses.

Thank you, so virtualbox i can simulate a CentOS or windows based servers for practice?

Edited by Exmas

Yep, totally. I did it that way before buying server. Tho at the end I ended up buying different distro for my server (CentOS) xD I was using BunsenLabs Hydrogen on my VB cause it's lightweight and I'm so excited to try simulating rathena. It is based on Debian.

Anyway, try installing VirtualBox first and choosing OS you would want to use for your server. I recommend Linux tho :v

I dunno, but aside from I am used to it, it seems almost all servers out there uses Linux. It's fun too. Go download a Linux distro, fiddle around with it for a while so you get used to it. Know basic commands.

Just comeback when you are ready to simulate a real server on VB.

-- EDIT --

Finally got home. Here's the step:

THE 5 STEPS ON SIMULATING A SERVER (VPS/Dedicated) BEFORE BUYING A REAL ONE FOR TESTING.

Step 1: First install VirtualBox on your Host OS.

Note: Host OS means the OS you are currently on or the main OS you'll install the VirtualBox.

Step 2: After installing VirtualBox, install OS that will act as your server OS. I prefer Linux and most server uses Linux (well atleast on my experience).

Note: This will be called Guest OS.

Step 3: Set the adapter on your Guest OS to be "Host-only Adapter"

275eb7bdcb.png

Step 4: Get the IP address of your Guest OS/Simulated Server either by checking it on your Host OS or directly on your Guest OS/Server.

At the Host side, you can check the IP address using this command

Windows: "ipconfig /all" and then look for the VirtualBox Host only adapter's IPv4 address.

Linux: Never tried this on Linux, but I guess you can just type in "ifconfig".

At the Guest OS/Server side... almost the same. This is how we check the IP address of a real VPS/Dedicated server.

Windows: just "ipconfig" and look for the IPv4 address.

Linux: ifconfig too.

Step 5: Setup whatever server stuffs on your Guest OS. This is applicable not only for rAthena/Hercules stuffs. You can really do this to simulate a real server.

You're Done! I might open up a thread for this and support users. Thanks for your time reading this hahaha. Hope this helps!

Edited by yepp

Yep, totally. I did it that way before buying server. Tho at the end I ended up buying different distro for my server (CentOS) xD I was using BunsenLabs Hydrogen on my VB cause it's lightweight and I'm so excited to try simulating rathena. It is based on Debian.

Anyway, try installing VirtualBox first and choosing OS you would want to use for your server. I recommend Linux tho :v

I dunno, but aside from I am used to it, it seems almost all servers out there uses Linux. It's fun too. Go download a Linux distro, fiddle around with it for a while so you get used to it. Know basic commands.

Just comeback when you are ready to simulate a real server on VB.

-- EDIT --

Finally got home. Here's the step:

THE 5 STEPS ON SIMULATING A SERVER (VPS/Dedicated) BEFORE BUYING A REAL ONE FOR TESTING.

Step 1: First install VirtualBox on your Host OS.

Note: Host OS means the OS you are currently on or the main OS you'll install the VirtualBox.

Step 2: After installing VirtualBox, install OS that will act as your server OS. I prefer Linux and most server uses Linux (well atleast on my experience).

Note: This will be called Guest OS.

Step 3: Set the adapter on your Guest OS to be "Host-only Adapter"

275eb7bdcb.png

Step 4: Get the IP address of your Guest OS/Simulated Server either by checking it on your Host OS or directly on your Guest OS/Server.

At the Host side, you can check the IP address using this command

Windows: "ipconfig /all" and then look for the VirtualBox Host only adapter's IPv4 address.

Linux: Never tried this on Linux, but I guess you can just type in "ifconfig".

At the Guest OS/Server side... almost the same. This is how we check the IP address of a real VPS/Dedicated server.

Windows: just "ipconfig" and look for the IPv4 address.

Linux: ifconfig too.

Step 5: Setup whatever server stuffs on your Guest OS. This is applicable not only for rAthena/Hercules stuffs. You can really do this to simulate a real server.

You're Done! I might open up a thread for this and support users. Thanks for your time reading this hahaha. Hope this helps!

Thank you!

Mark my answer as Solved if I helped you and to let other people know this thread is solved.

• Upvote 1