Positioning Back Items In actOR2

RO-Blank

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6

My newest interest has been in the creation of back items, but I can't seem to find any information on how to go about creating ACTs for them. I assume that may be because there typically isn't much interest in them (except the form-fitting ones) outside of High Rate servers.

That being said, I had jumped into this project assuming that it would be a piece of cake, like headgears have been for me in the past. However, I've been running into issues using actOR and actOR2, in the case of the BL, B, and BR views of the sprite. I'm near completion otherwise, though.

The issue is basically that no matter what I do, the items will not display on the back of the sprite. They display on the back from the L, FL, F, FR, and R positions, though. 

I've tried repositioning the character sprite in actOR and actOR2, but it just causes the L, FL, F, FR, and R positions to have the sprite on the front of them (which I do not want).

Basically, I want it to be in the rear for L, FL, F, FR, and R positions, while being in the front for BL, B, and BR positions, which is pretty much commonplace.

If it explains anything, I'm also one of those spriters who never really used actOR much before to custom write ACTs. I've used it mostly to fix certain glitches in a few of the original ones (for example, Flying Angeling Hat used to have a place where it was a few coordinates off in its animation, though, I'm not sure if that's still the case). Otherwise, when making my headgears, I've just used ACTs from similar headgears and went from there. However, I've literally spent the past 4-5 days on this project trying to get the positioning right for other sprites, while I was having an issue with broken sprites, and I feel like I've done everything within the limits of my knowledge of the program. I've even resulted in actually losing all of my work in the Dir.4-8 option (without the option to undo), but I wanted to try everything to see if I could fix the issue of positioning. /sob

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but the item is a set of wings, smaller ones. Most of the ones I've seen screenshots of tend to be away from the body, but I wanted these to actually be behind the character and connected. I'm starting to wonder if it's something that's really difficult, because I'm only seeing a few wings out there that are actually connected to the character's back, and not just floating next to their shoulders or something... /pif

So can I please get some help with this specific issue? Even pointing me in the direction of a good tutorial for using actOR and actOR2 for back items would be a great help, and greatly appreciated.  /ok

Edited by RO-Blank

2 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  667

ACT files have no concept of "front versus back". That setting cannot be modified within an ACT file, even less action based (L, FL, F, etc). The type of the item determines the z-index (front/back). Headgears will 'always' appear in front. The custom wings people make tend to be "away" because of that.

The only way I know of to make this work the way you want is to use the garment slot + lua file editing. This guide is a good start : http://rathena.org/board/topic/72734-guidecustom-wings-at-robe-place/?hl=cskroption

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  6

ACT files have no concept of "front versus back". That setting cannot be modified within an ACT file, even less action based (L, FL, F, etc). The type of the item determines the z-index (front/back). Headgears will 'always' appear in front. The custom wings people make tend to be "away" because of that.

The only way I know of to make this work the way you want is to use the garment slot + lua file editing. This guide is a good start : http://rathena.org/board/topic/72734-guidecustom-wings-at-robe-place/?hl=cskroption

I knew that it was that way with headgears, but I wasn't sure that the same applied to wings.

So you're saying that doing something like this isn't possible without using a garment slot and editing the lua file?

cab07594d7555c5bcda3af60ad4027b7-d598i4c

(credits for the image and the content therein go to Nea-Ink)

Edited by RO-Blank