Updating raises my blood pressure

rayn

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164

So, as a long time user of RO emulators, and having been on rAthena for about a year - it seems that every time I update to the latest revisions, I get really, really anxious. The reason for that is because my last few updates, unfortunately, have always been to revisions that had crash bugs.

I find that I spend a lot more time on update reversion when planning my updates, as it was necessary for me to do so.

Not a criticism or anything. Just wanted to see if anyone else feels the same way.

I feel like I should take a valium every time I update.

On a previous emulator, they had a forum thread for 'safe revisions' to implement on live servers. Perhaps we should have something similar here?

• Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  846

So, as a long time user of RO emulators, and having been on rAthena for about a year - it seems that every time I update to the latest revisions, I get really, really anxious. The reason for that is because my last few updates, unfortunately, have always been to revisions that had crash bugs.

I find that I spend a lot more time on update reversion when planning my updates, as it was necessary for me to do so.

Not a criticism or anything. Just wanted to see if anyone else feels the same way.

I feel like I should take a valium every time I update.

On a previous emulator, they had a forum thread for 'safe revisions' to implement on live servers. Perhaps we should have something similar here?

They use to do that. Trunk and Stable. They tossed that out because well...it was just easier to update one rather than two o.O idk if that's 100% accurate but I do know Stable and Trunk are one now

• Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  174

I wish they would continue supporting SVN, other than that, rAthena is free, and I got no complaints in its job, they are doing really fine for a contribution based community.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164

Yes, I completely agree with the above. I started of on eA (but didnt want to mention names).

What I have noticed with rA is that sometimes, commits are incomplete. A commit might contain a portion of an update, for example, and then it might take a few more commits to complete that feature.

It would be great if some commits are tagged as 'This is a safe revision to use on live servers! It consists only of bug fixes, and there are no additional changes that shoudn't be used on a live server. And as far as we know, all previous crash bugs are resolved.'

Yes - I dislike GIT too. SVN was great and did a sufficient job, in my opinion.

Edited by rayn

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  14

You should to drink milk daily. It is best for you to control blood pressure.