XAMPP for hosting cp,website,and forums linked with mysql HELP

Lord Ganja

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  444

Hello. I was wondering how to use xampp to host my ragnarok fluxcp, website, and forums..

I don't even know how to link the fluxcp hosted in xampp to my mysql database..
I wanted to test all of it before launching it.

Can anyone give me a detailed instructions about it?

thanks in advance :)

Edited by Lord Ganja

8 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  107

Okay if you start xampp

on your task bar area you see a orange small icon with a white X right click it and open the xampp control panel

once it loads up you should see button "start" next apache and mysql, click it and wait for the module colour to go green

then click admin on the mysql line and that will load up phpmyadmin on a loopback address 127.0.0.1 or localhost make your ragnarok databases there and give permissions to a user and then add those details in

htdoc / flux / config / servers.php and for development purpose find error.php and change $showExceptions  = false; to true and then install flux if all goes well then you should see the flux default home page if it doesnt then it will show you the error so you can fix it.

Hope that helps

Poseidon

Edited by Poseidon

Okay if you start xampp

on your task bar area you see a orange small icon with a white X right click it and open the xampp control panel

once it loads up you should see button "start" next apache and mysql, click it and wait for the module colour to go green

then click admin on the mysql line and that will load up phpmyadmin on a loopback address 127.0.0.1 or localhost make your ragnarok databases there and give permissions to a user and then add those details in

htdoc / flux / config / servers.php and for development purpose find error.php and change $showExceptions  = false; to true and then install flux if all goes well then you should see the flux default home page if it doesnt then it will show you the error so you can fix it.

Hope that helps

Poseidon

Thanks for your reply Poseidon. anyway, how do I set the permission to the user using phpmyadmin?

and is it possible to host it online?

On the top you should see tabs if you click on privileges and then add user

You can use xampp and host a website online but there are alot of cons compared to hosting with a hosting provider as there servers are built just for that

1. you cant have a domain name and point it to you machine as you need DNS servers, You could have a host domain ie host.no-ip.org or something but thats not very professional

2. you would need to keep you machine on 24/7 and normal Home user pc/laptops aren't built to be on 24/7 you would find hardware might start to fail 6months down the line

3. you website would be very slow if you use the machine that the site is hosted on

4. Security wise its not wise to host an online website with xampp

on a side note you can pick up a hosting package hosted professional for next to nothing, really xampp is for development purpose only not for live websites unless you have a dedicated system with its own line (Broadband connection),

On the top you should see tabs if you click on privileges and then add user

You can use xampp and host a website online but there are alot of cons compared to hosting with a hosting provider as there servers are built just for that

1. you cant have a domain name and point it to you machine as you need DNS servers, You could have a host domain ie host.no-ip.org or something but thats not very professional

2. you would need to keep you machine on 24/7 and normal Home user pc/laptops aren't built to be on 24/7 you would find hardware might start to fail 6months down the line

3. you website would be very slow if you use the machine that the site is hosted on

4. Security wise its not wise to host an online website with xampp

on a side note you can pick up a hosting package hosted professional for next to nothing, really xampp is for development purpose only not for live websites unless you have a dedicated system with its own line (Broadband connection),

Thank you again for your reply. Anyway, i'm just going to test it. I just want to know and try how could I host a web at home. i'm not really going to host it for like 24/7.. I'll just make it online everytime i'm using my pc. can you teach me how i'm gonna do that? I only need to know how to host it online and link the fluxcp to the mysql provided by xampp.

Well to allow others to see your website you need to port forward and that is something no one can help you with as each router has a different firmware/software, so the best way to port forward would be to find a tutorial online about your router.

somehow I solved this. The only problem i'm encountering now is that my port 80 is blocked. maybe my ISP which is bayantel is blocking it.

anyway, nevermind about it. thanks.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  14

I have a blog website . Is this web hosting useful for the blog or only for forums? my website is here  http://www.webdevelopmentseo.com/

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3

why use xampp? xampp is for project testing not for products. Install apache mysql php and config it