MySQL Issue

TwiztidSinX

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13

First of all, I would like to apologize if this is the wrong section. I considered posting this in 3rd Party Support, but since I seen other threads to do with MySQL in this section I figured it must be the right area

OK moving on some background info on my issue,

I have had many private servers over the years I typically stuck with TXT based because my old computer could never run MySQL for some reason. When I got my new computer I just kept going with TXT that is until about a month ago when I got my first rAthena client because I really enjoyed some of Euphy's scripts which only worked properly on rA instead of eA and 3ceAm. Seeing as how rA only supports SQL based servers I finally decided to go with the times and use one.

I installed everything got all my old NPCs, Custom Jobs, Maps, Items, and all that working, installed and configured MySQL, updated to a new client and everything was going great for about a month. 

Then a storm came by like 2 weeks ago and knocked out my power for literally 2 seconds I turned my computer back on tried to run my server when I ran into this common issue

: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' <using password: YES>

So I checked my inter_athena nothing was changed and everything looked fine.

I looked around on rA found other people with the same issue but nothing helped my issue so I assumed the issue has to be with MySQL itself so I started looking on MySQL support threads on other sites and couldn't really make heads or tails of anything. (as I said this is my first SQL server) Seeing as how I am not to familiar with how the MySQL workbench works or where to find where the passwords for root@localhost are stored I tried a popular suggestion of completely uninstalling MySQL and re-installing it. That didn't work still have the same issue. I found a way to change the root password which didn't work at all so i kept uninstalling and re-installing it never worked.

So I tried installing again but this time not setting a password for root that just gave me this error instead.

[sql]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' <using password: NO>

I also tried installing again and this time making a new account in MySQL along side the root account and redoing all the SQL side of things using the new account but i just got. 

[sql]: Access denied for user 'TwiztidSinX'@'localhost' <using password: YES>

The only difference I can tell that has happened since the computer restarted is before when using MySQL workbench 

when I would click on

Local MySQL55

User: root Host: localhost:3306 

It would pop up a password prompt 

now when I click on it there is no password prompt even when I set a password for root

so whether I set a password for root or not I still do not get a password prompt anymore

I'm sorry I'm asking for help I usually can figure this stuff out on my own but as you can tell, I have 

done the research and tried everything I can possibly think of so I'm in over my head here 

any help that I haven't already tried would be most greatly appreciated.

If anyone can help you have my most sincere thanks.

Ok I'm sorry now for posting this but as usual I figured it out and fixed it myself. Isn't that how it always works you finally break down and take a punch to your pride and ask for help, then you figure it out anyways.

for future reference and for anyone else having this issue it was actually fixed by uninstalling and re-installing  Except I tried to re-install in safe mode

and It just kept automatically crashing so I went out of safe mode

and ran the MySQL Installer as Administrator everything installed fine and when I was configuring everything, I got to the point where you give root a password, but instead of being the normal 2 lines where you give it a password and then repeat said password I had 3 lines this time they were

Current root Password

New root Password

Repeat Password 

I fought with it like 4 times trying to figure out what was going on because whenever I would try to finish the configuration I would get the all to familiar,

Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' <using password: YES>

So I figured that meant I was getting my current root password wrong, I then figured apparently it saved a root password from my previous install before the storm, but that to gave me 

Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' <using password: YES>

So what I finally tried which did work was simply putting the original root password which is nothing just blank

for the Current Root Password

then for the New Root Password and repeat root password parts I just came up with a password I then went into 

MySQL workbench added the Main.sql and logs.sql into they're proper places 

edited the inter_athena.conf for my new password and all worked well.

now I just have to pray my computer never restarts ever again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this issue has been resolved it can be closed unless leaving it open helps other people with the same issue.

Seeing as how I kinda covered every possible way to fix said issue.

3 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  707

Hi TwiztidSinX,

As a tip for the next time your computer abruptly shuts down; try repairing the MySQL database, as the data may have corrupted during the un-plug.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  13

That sounds like a good idea but as I said I literally know nothing about MySQL so is there a guide I can read somewhere on how to do that?

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2223

Connect to your MySQL database, then use the REPAIR TABLE query.

Ex:

REPAIR TABLE `char`;
If you use a MySQL client GUI program, it probably has a tool where you can "Select All" tables and click Repair.