Content Creation... free or fee?

Sir

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2

Since all sources of content creation are made available for extract, authors would call it 'stealing'. But there are tons of ways to make it so that extractors won't have access to grf material. But I'm pretty sure we've all found a way around that by now.

Anyway, if you're going to complain about how they're stealing your sprites on the internet, why not make your own game? I think everything related to RO should be open source. I know we all have to make our buck within a day, but people would still go to sites and pay for these things so they won't have to go the extra mile. So again... why bother complaining about it? You know the drill.

Edited by Sir

• Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1942

yah you're right about that. many author is trying to sell specially on the custom item sprite. which is they've got it for free. but even they are paid service. there is a lot of way to get it for free specially if you know a lot in the internet world.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  56

Meh, i dont think everything related to RO should be open source/available to everyone.

Why? Simple, lets say your the admin of a server and you personaly made a lot of content for your own server, unique maintown, unique quest maps, unique headgears and what so ever, wouldnt it get you pissed if that stuff end up beeing on other servers out there, while it was only intended for your own?

And about the complaining, i guess thats just the way people like drama, let of steam, or use the opportunity to blast some bad rp in your stealers own server (kinda like: "You steal my work? Im gonna wreck yours!") instead of resolving the issue behind the scenes.

And on "make your own game", well let me tell you this: making a whole game takes a lot of resources and time, you need a good idea that gets people interested, a well made design document containing all game mechanics, for singleplayer even a story writer aka someone who knows how to tell a story, a engine, tons of people creating content starting from ideas to concept arts over to complete working content, testing, marketing, support......

Thats a hell of a lot of time, work and manpower, even a simple game such as Binding of Isaac was propably more work than any RO Server owner ever did put into his Server.

Edited by Reynard

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2

Meh, i dont think everything related to RO should be open source/available to everyone.

Why? Simple, lets say your the admin of a server and you personaly made a lot of content for your own server, unique maintown, unique quest maps, unique headgears and what so ever, wouldnt it get you pissed if that stuff end up beeing on other servers out there, while it was only intended for your own?

In the end it all comes down to whether content creators are okay with their themed material being used the same way on another server. Yeah, it would make anyone mad, if their motto isn't to share easily accessible contents and they're a full fledged tripfag beyond reason. Of course they'll be angry, they want to have a one-of-a-kind server with a specified theme created by none other than their own developers. That's what makes variety, in it that no server will ever be 100% the same, despite how much stolen content had been extracted from one server to another. But aren't all private server owners guilty of this crime? Haven't we all stolen what was previously a payment model mmo? Call it the 'grey area' if you will, but lets not forget that forging a private server of your own isn't exactly legal. It's within the realms of what RO emulators were in the past.

Saying that you would take virtual actions against RO creations taken from you by practically anyone who can get it, while running a server of your own, is like the MPAA vs Open Source, or like a lawsuit between a rapper and reality show redneck over which one of them owns the phrase, "Yuuup". It's borderline hypocrisy.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  56

When i for example create 3d models, unles i release them under a open licence or sell the rights to someone else, they are still my creation and i own the rights to them. So i decide what i will do with them.

In case someone rips those, well congratulations you cracked the protection. I could even sue if i would want to waste that money, as it doesnt matter where i implemented them, it matters that i created them and under what licence i release them, even in something illegal such as a modified ragnarok client with ported version of my files, those core files are still my creation unles i based them on material from someone else. So its entirely up to the creator of what he does with his own creations.

Thats not hypocrism, its just the decision of if and how you release your creations.

In case of Gravity, well they decided how they released their creations, someone cracked their stuff, someone made a software emulating their servers, if they wanted to, they could sue us for using their IP. But they dont as it wouldnt pay, private servers are still a source of ideas for gravity itself, and kinda keep the game alive on their fair share by providing a different experience should a player get bored by the original one.

And we arent angels anyways, we kinda are all already sick f***s for creating private servers based on a commercial game, releasing everything for everyone we create wouldnt redeem us, we are already down that path, so why should we?
Thats like a smuggler sharing his smuggling routes, he wont redeem himself by doing so, hes still a smuggler.