This is driving me crazy!

Dahnte

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2

Hey everyone!  I deeply apologize if this is in the wrong spot.  Please don't hate me if it is! 

I used to play RO back in alpha and early beta before it become subscription only.  I had always heard about free RO servers but never really got interested in it at the time.  It's been ages since I even thought about RO but a friend and I were talking about it and it really hit me right in the nostalgia.  Wanting to re-experience some of the stuff I did back in 2001ish time frame, and see what has changed over the years (a lot, I know), I decided, well, why not?  How hard could it be to install and run a private server?

I'm using the server from here (r16797).  Setting up the mySQL database was easy enough and configuring the server was a snap.  All three servers run fine when I run the .bat files.  Cool, I thought, it won't be long before I'm running around Prontera and just basking in old memories.

However, the client has not been good to me.   Maybe this is part of my problem, but to try and save time and avoid downloading 14 different files to unzip into one folder, I decided to snag the DreamRO full client and install it/patch it.  Then I went and added the config file to connect to the data\ folder.  There was an exe.exe to run which does list my private server.  Cool, I thought again, this is easy peasy.  But alas, when I double click on my server name and type in my account (which does exist in the SQL database) one of two things happens.  At first it was doing this:

mjnxvb.jpg

Without fail.  Every time.  But after more screwing around, now it just hangs and locks up. After selecting the server and logging in, it lists the name of the server with 0 players on, so I click that and it just says "please wait" and locks up the client to the point where the only way to kill it is via windows task manager.

I kept seeing that something called 2012-04-10aRagexeRE.exe would work out of the box, so I got it but when I run it all I get is a small window that says "error" on the title. The box itself is just pure white.  This is also in C:\RO\

So after nearly a full day of downloading RO stuff, compiling servers, dumping and redoing databases..I'm really at wit's end. 

I know iRO is free to play now but I just don't have hours and hours to spend grinding xp these days.  That's one of the reasons I even considering doing this.  We could mess around with the various jobs at various levels and go to any zone we want at any time.  I'm really anxious to get this working right.  I suppose worse comes to worse I could try to do it on another public server, but it would be neat to be able to add any item we wanted and try out stuff that probably wouldn't be possible by playing on someone else's server.   Plus now, after all this time, it's more or less personal.  I have to make this work right, even if it's just to know why it wasn't.

Please help if you know of a solution!  

Edited by Dahnte

3 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  295

Having this error also. Tired of trying to fix this.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  16

Have you diffed the client? Have you added your own clientinfo.xml to your server's grf/data folder?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2

Well, after several more hours of compiling, learning how to diff the client, etc, I've managed to make it so I can log in.  However, all the buttons are in Korean.  0_o   This is after I applied an up to date data folder and repacked it into a .grf file (and set the grf file in the ini file).

Any suggestions on how to get it into English?