Suggestion for PM system...

Peopleperson49

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  218
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1180

I think that rA needs to have a opiton that allows users to restrict who they recieve PMs from. For example, if they set it up to only reiceve PM's from certain groups such as friends, etc... Then when somebody not in an allowed group clicks on send them a message it needs to say, "You don't have permission to send to this person.". I think that this would prevent a lot of messages from being sent and never read. Of course if you don't set up a filter then you recieve everything. You might already have something like, but I'm not sure.

Peopleperson49

• Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  520

This would be great, a substitute on

/ex, /exall

I have sent messages to people and I don't know if they just immediately delete them or ignore them, but they sit in my inbox never read by the other party. Eventually I delete them. Seems like a waste of server resources to even send them if people don't want them. Setting up groups would be a nice feature. It needs to prevent the PMs from even being written in the first place. Group options could include friends, people with over X number of posts, and moderators/admin only.

Peopleperson49

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2223

In Settings > 'Ignore' Preferences, you can manage which members you ignore and what to ignore (their posts, signature and/or PMs).

We will be keeping IP.Board's behavior: "allow all, except those on your ignore list".

Thanks Brian but thats just my point. It still allows you to send the messages to them. They never see them so they don't get read and they just sit in the senders inbox until they delete them. It needs to prevent it in the first place.

Peopleperson49

Edit: If I am correct that only works for blocking individual users, which is good if somebody is annoying you, but with a 1000+ users and more all the time, I can't block everybody. I was talking about blocking groups. Take some of the high level devs or moderators. Even me, I get flooded with PMs all the time for script requests. It would be nice to block anybody that isn't in my friend list.

Edited by Peopleperson49

It still allows you to send the messages to them. They never see them so they don't get read and they just sit in the senders inbox until they delete them. It needs to prevent it in the first place.

I think this is unavoidable. PMs are similar to emails (but with extra perks like Edit and Delete).

You send a PM and once the recipient receives it, it's up to them what they do with it -- read it, delete it, reply, or just let it sit.

Edit: If I am correct that only works for blocking individual users, which is good if somebody is annoying you, but with a 1000+ users and more all the time, I can't block everybody. I was talking about blocking groups. Take some of the high level devs or moderators. Even me, I get flooded with PMs all the time for script requests. It would be nice to block anybody that isn't in my friend list.

Correct. IP.Board's behavior is "allow all, except those on your ignore list".

Maybe you could suggest this to them, adding a Setting where users can pick

• Allow all, except _______ (and they add members to ignore)
  • Deny all, except ______ (and they add members they want to ALLOW)
  • and also suggest the lists can contain Member names OR Group names

Correct. IP.Board's behavior is "allow all, except those on your ignore list". Maybe you could suggest this to them, adding a Setting where users can pick

Allow all, except _______ (and they add members to ignore)

Deny all, except ______ (and they add members they want to ALLOW) [*]and also suggest the lists can contain Member names OR Group names.

Sorry I'm a bit confused now. That is basically what I was trying to say, an easy group would be friends, modertors/admin, etc... Didn't this topic already get rejected, who do I suggest that to?

Peopleperson49

http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/298-ipboard/

IPS Software and Company Feedback → Community Suite Feedback → IP.Board

Thanks.