Request scripts added to SVN.

Peopleperson49

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  218
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1180

I request that that a dev or moderator test my King Of Emperium Hill, Arch Bishop Job Quest, Guillotine Cross Job Quest, and Monster Of The Day scripts in the hope of officially added to the npc/custom/pp49_scripts (or whereever) in the SVN. They can be found in my script collection. Thanks.

Peopleperson49

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2997

We don't add custom scripts unless:

• They are common utility scripts (e.g. everything in the root folder).
  • They are already very widely-used and would be generally beneficial (ex. Cluckers, Disguise event).

There are certainly many scripts in the folder that don't fall under either category, but I'm more hesitant to delete the scripts without a better reason (many of the more-useless ones I removed a few months ago). That said, I don't believe we need to add any more clutter into the SVN, so I'm going to say "no" to this unless somebody has more input.

• Upvote 7

• Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  666

I agree with Euphy. Granted I am glad to have seen my disguise event added. But, we shouldn't be adding scripts based on personal request. Because eventually, we'd have quite a few people asking for their works being added.

I wish their was a way to get them added. Maybe something setup like the bug tracker. Each submission is there to download and rA users click yes or no. It's not clutter if their useful scripts. My GC/AB jobchanges quests are not necessary since we have the official scripts. Something like my King Of Emperium Hill (KoE) or the Monster Of The Day (MOTD) would probably be good additions. Oh well, I was told to post here, so atleast I tried.

Peopleperson49

• Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  666

Well, if something like that was created for this purpose, the i could see this working. Since it would basically be, users pick for what scripts they would like to have added. The only issue with this is, that it only really benefits future users. I mean obviously those who are voting to have it added, also have the capability to add it manually themselves.

Secondly, we'd need a way to determine if it was added, worthy, your Yes/No votes, is good, but how do we figure out if it gets passed? A certain amount of Yes votes overall, or perhaps a certain amount within a ' X day ' period. Though, this would probably result in people making accounts just to vote and ultimately feed their scripts into the svn.

At anyrate, it is still upto the dev's on this one. However, there are a few scripts I think SHOULD be added, mainly utlity scripts / pvp ladder / WoE controller scripts. Mainly because they are so commonly requested for in the script_request section. It would also lighten the load in the script_support section for these types of scripts, since the one people use would more commonly be standardized to the one in the svn.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  341

I think the current NPCs under the custom folder are sufficient enough (at least it covers all of the basic NPCs). If we were to put all these custom scripts in the SVN, a very high possibility that the bug tracker will fill up with unnecessary custom script bugs/supports.

I understand with any new addition there is bound to be additional bugs discovered as more and more people use them. Scripts are pretty easy to fix and errors and it is no different than any other script that has been added in the past. You removed unnessary scripts before because they were outdated and not as good as what could be found here. Scripts should be well tested and well used before being added. I agree complely with GMOcean about standardizing files though. It would allow people to more people to use scripts that are already tested for the common things normally requested here. Any script added should be as good as possible, but there is always the possibility for something random to pop up. There are only so many bugs in a script and once they get fixed your good! Baseing it on the fact that there will be more bug reports, seems trivial if the process works correctly. Right now we have several cases where different people are attempting to make the same type of scripts over and over again. Its filling up our request section. Take my KoE script, I strive to very quickly fix any errors found and it has been used for quite a while now, by a lot of users and no bugs have been posted in my topic for a long time. If it is tested over and over by players then why would there be risk to filling up the bug tracker? Its not like its going to just be added without being looked over by a dev! If there was a section devoted to getting custom stuff added to the SVN, with a forum topic attached below it (similar setup to a bug tracker topic). GMOcean I know I said yes or no in my first post, but after thinking about I don't really like yes/no votes (yes/no should be the devs), I think it should be that people have the option to recremend or or not recremend it for submission. Leave it there for 3 months, then after that the devs still have the option to add it. These are all just suggestions to how it might be done. I'm not trying to take up valuable space in the SVN, but trying to help people out who are not as fimilar with scripting! The main reason is that you get somebody whose new to scripting, and for the most part they don't know what to trust from here, which version to use, if there rA files will support, etc... What has bugs or not. So then they make a lot of topics for help (whether warranted or not), then bump a lot, etc... Take those commonly requested scripts and add them to the SVN where people know they can be trusted. Then if theres a bug submit a bug tracker and we fix it. The KoE script that I wrote had multiple topics requesting a good version before I wrote it. Somebody back me up on this, but they have seem to have stopped since I posted mine. The SVN could do the same thing overall. I'm not pushing to get my stuff added because I know there are a lot devs with scripts and there stuff is not their either, just their should be some process to do it.

Peopleperson49

Edited by Peopleperson49

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40

I'm against adding to much custom scripts to the svn.

Mybe a bit OT, but I would rather have a better way to find the scripts you search for.

Maybe something like bukkits plugin page, combined with a rating system.

In my opinion our current downloads section isn't flexible and userfriendly enough for this:

You can't search only in a subcategories.

The anti flood protection prevents you from instantly adjusting your search, when your first search didn't return anything useful.

Also tags would be better than subcategories(as some scripts would fit in more than one subsection...).

And live search(search while you are typing) would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

Adding everything to the SVN is not what I mean, it comes with the understanding that the Script Collections is spost to be an easy way to find reliable scripts. But there are still a lot of stuff that is "dev" recremended. Anyways, I have to stop making contravertial topics! If you refine the search it might go a long way without needing to add stuff to the SVN. However, I still fully agree with my previous post! The search is extremly annoying expecially if you type the wrong button or want to search for something else. Even without the live search, it we be awesome to get rid of the flood protection!!! As for the download section for each script it might be a good idea to have an option for: This script has been verified and recremended by 'developter name'. This recremendation would need to be done individually each time a new rev is made for a script, which adds yet anohter task to very busy people. Possibly moderators could do this function also. In the search querry it could then have an option for recremended scripts, which compiles a overall list of the scripts.

Peopleperson49

Edited by Peopleperson49

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3123

This has gone a little off-topic..

Aside from that fact, Euphy has already declined the request and given good reasons. That should be the end of it.