[ERROR ]make_listen_bind: bind failed (socket # 4, code 98)!

Orgasmator

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51

Can you please help me? I'm using a CentOS 5 based VPS server. Trying to host an online private server.

My bind ips are set to 127.0.0.1 in my char_athena.conf, map_athena.conf and also login_athena.conf

I've tried to comment them with // but its not working also.

I've tried setting them to my LAN ip it worked for the first time, then when I restarted my server, same error again.

Edited by Orgasmator

4 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  707

Hi Orgasmator,

If you are using a server; you're suppose to be using the WAN IP; and commenting out the bind_ip options. Make sure you don't have a firewall blocking the ports you are trying to use; or the server processes already running, cause that will use the ports and cause this error to occur.

Would suggest trying the following commands to kill off any pre-existing processes...

killall -9 map-server_sql
killall -9 char-server_sql
killall -9 login-server_sql

Then try running the server again.

As a side note: Don't add me to ask for support for another company's services... add a support moderator, ask your own VPS company, or hire a developer.

Hi Orgasmator,

If you are using a server; you're suppose to be using the WAN IP; and commenting out the bind_ip options. Make sure you don't have a firewall blocking the ports you are trying to use; or the server processes already running, cause that will use the ports and cause this error to occur.

Would suggest trying the following commands to kill off any pre-existing processes...

killall -9 map-server_sql
killall -9 char-server_sql
killall -9 login-server_sql

Then try running the server again.

As a side note: Don't add me to ask for support for another company's services... add a support moderator, ask your own VPS company, or hire a developer.

I tried to kill what you told me to, but no process was killed.

Removed the "//" from map,char,log_athena configs and inserted my WAN IPs but I got the same problem again.

Sorry about adding you on Skype and wanting help. Thought you would help. My fault.

Thank you.

Edited by Orgasmator

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  707

Hi Orgasmator,

What I would do is comment everything out in terms of the IP's; and let the server determine it for you. I think you are putting the wrong values; when I say WAN IP, I really mean your VPS's IP.

And I have no problems helping; just don't add me for that specific reason, I'm not your personal general support. I just help people on my free time, whenever I feel like it.

Hi Orgasmator,

What I would do is comment everything out in terms of the IP's; and let the server determine it for you. I think you are putting the wrong values; when I say WAN IP, I really mean your VPS's IP.

And I have no problems helping; just don't add me for that specific reason, I'm not your personal general support. I just help people on my free time, whenever I feel like it.

Do you mean putting "//" by "commenting out"?

I am really using my VPS's IP.

As far as I know, the one starts with 172.16 is my LAN IP and the other one is my WAN IP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I added you because I thought things would go simplier and faster than checking the forums all the time, since I'm in kind of hurry to start my server. I did never think you're my personal general support.

Thank you for your kindness.

Edited by Orgasmator