Forum Updates; Q2 23 Edition

Akkarin

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3123

A great many things have changed during this recent maintenance of our forums.

Forum Software Upgrade
First and foremost, we have upgraded our forums to the latest version of IPS Community Suite. This brings with it a number of new features and improvements including an updated anti-spam service, a number of updates to the Editor, and a new way to embed content from other sites. We have also added a new feature that allows you to easily share content from our forums to your social media accounts.

More Updates!
Various 3rd-Party plugins have been updated to mitigate bugs and to ensure compatibility with the new version of the forums. If you notice any issues with the forums, please let us know in the Forum Issues sub-forum.. forum forum.

Forum Themes
The default IPS nasty white theme has been removed. The Dark theme is now the only option, for the benefit of your eyes, and so I don't have to update two themes when I change something. The forum upgrade has reverted some of our custom changes to the Dark theme, such as various layout template changes, links being removed, buttons being moved to somewhere else, etc. Some of them will return, while others will not. The link for Account Credit will return when Paypal has approved our application_id, which was another new change I wasn't prepared for (because some of us don't like to read changelogs before updating...).

Username Logins
A number of older features within IPS have been deprecated and will be removed at a future date. One of these is the ability to allow username logins. Let's face it, it's a security risk. On Thursday 8th June, we will be removing the ability to login with your username. This will destroy your forum cookies, ending your sessions, forcing you to re-login. You will need to use your email address and password to login to the forums again.

Merch and Tickets
IPS are changing the way the IP.Commerce system works. This will affect the way we handle donations and subscriptions. We will be working on this over the next few weeks and will let you know when we have a solution in place. The long-and short of it is that they are removing support for physical products and the forum support ticket system in a future version. rA Merch hasn't existed on the forums for about a year (the link in the navigation goes to our Tee-Spring store, which no one has ever purchased from) so that isn't an issue. The support tickets are often ignored as it's just a bunch of users trying to get help with their rA server, which is not what they were originally designed for.

We Moved
We actually migrated hosts. Still with OVH, but a shiny new VM with tonnes more resources, all for almost the same price as the old one. The Crowdfunding descriptions are now slightly wrong, as we don't have the same costs for the listed products/services, although the total amount each month is ~$3 less. I'm not decreasing them, however, as the IPS license renewal still comes out of my pocket at a hefty $120/6mo. Traffic is still filtered through CloudFlare.

rA Gaming Guilds & Teams
At the back-end of last year, I asked you guys in our Discord server what your thoughts were on an rA Guild in various MMOs and a team for some MOBAs via a brief survey. The results were mixed, but in-all there was some good feedback. We will be opening up a few new channels in Discord over the coming weeks with information on where to find our guilds in whichever games we decide to play. We will also be looking for some Guild Leaders to represent us in games that rA Staff don't play. Please wait for further announcements on this.

I think that's all? Probably.

Akky out~

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

On 6/5/2023 at 10:25 PM, Akkarin said:

Username Logins

Username login has now been disabled. All users will now login with their email address and password.

All forum sessions were reset during this task, ensuring no one escaped the net.

• 3 weeks later...

1 minute ago, JHONDOMINIC said:

Why disable credit menu tell me please. And how long we will get our moneys?

On 6/5/2023 at 10:25 PM, Akkarin said:

The link for Account Credit will return when Paypal has approved our application_id, which was another new change I wasn't prepared for

It's still pending, so I've probably done something wrong. I'll ping them a help-request.