A few questions about installation. Also, nice to meet you all!

Nakiren

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2

I'm new to rAthena.org, but I am not new to Ragnarok or Networking. Wasn't sure if I should put this in Server-side Support or Client-side Support.

Client-side questions

So, the guide linked below states that there is a packet_db_ver. Is this the kRO packet version, the executable packet version, or some database version that I'm unaware of?

https://rathena.org/board/topic/104452-tutorial-how-to-create-ragnarok-offline-2015-client/

Why is the data/translation folder, the executable client, and the kRO client all found in separate locations? Why is there no single packet for the client?

Diffing involves editing the GUI of the executable client, I know that much, but does it edit anything else?

Server-side questions

I'm a little unsure as to why the different installation instructions vary per guide. For example, the guide on Wikipedia instructs the user to only use main.sql and logs.sql when filling the SQL database.

https://rathena.org/wiki/SQL_Installation

There is another guide, that says almost the exact opposite. The user carefully explains that you should go through the sql-files folder and run each individual .sql file, including the ones in the subfolders.
https://rathena.org/board/topic/104452-tutorial-how-to-create-ragnarok-offline-2015-client/

My question is, which should I do?

Here I have item_db.sql and item_db_re.sql, two separate SQL files.
Is item_db.sql just the eAthena items? I'd assume it is. Does that mean that item_db_re.sql is an extension? Or is item_db_re.sql both eAthena and renewal items?

There is also the item_db.sql and item_db2.sql. Both files are titled the same thing, but one has a 2 on the end of it. Why does a script need an extension in a second file? Why can't it just be in one file?

(Now for the unimportant stuff.)

I'm Nakiren, nice to meet you all. I've been using this board for the past two days during the creation of my private server, and I have it running, but there are several questions I had for the people in this site who give good support. I hope to stick around for awhile and get to know you all while I'm here.

Edited by Nakiren

3 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  57

Client Side

1. that packet_db_ver is for your client...The executable client..this depend on which client u want to use...

2. I think all this in separate location because its easy to search for it...for example, got new update with new client, then you can find client section only..same with the others (data folder/kro/rathena folder). And also it depend on your choice...some people like to use old client cause they found it easy to use..so thats why it cant be in single packet.

3. Yes its involve editing the GUI of the executable client..diffing your client its like to make your own custom executable client...depend on what you want the client to read for your server folder..there's a lot of plugin u can choose...

Server Side

1. main.sql and log.sql is a basic sql you needed for a server...if you are going to use txt version, then you dont need to execute others sql file...but if you are planning to use all the database as sql, then yes you need to execute all of it...you can check this in wiki database installation and additional configuration section...https://rathena.org/wiki/SQL_Installation#Database_Installation

2. item_db.sql is for pre-ren and item_db_re.sql is for renewal...of course its have to be separate..its your choice either to make server for ren or pre-ren..

3. item_db.sql and item_db2.sql is two separate file..the main item db is item_db.sql...item_db2.sql created for ragnarok developer to separate two database so that he can easily access the database he created...for example he want to add custom item, and dont want to mix it with his main item db, then he can use item_db2.sql as his file to store all database for custom item that he made..but if you plan to use it in one folder, then there's no need to execute the item_db2.sql..just use item_db.sql as the main core database for item...

i think this is the explanation that you need....and if im wrong please do correct me cause im also still in learning process... /ok

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2

Client Side

1. that packet_db_ver is for your client...The executable client..this depend on which client u want to use...

2. I think all this in separate location because its easy to search for it...for example, got new update with new client, then you can find client section only..same with the others (data folder/kro/rathena folder). And also it depend on your choice...some people like to use old client cause they found it easy to use..so thats why it cant be in single packet.

3. Yes its involve editing the GUI of the executable client..diffing your client its like to make your own custom executable client...depend on what you want the client to read for your server folder..there's a lot of plugin u can choose...

Server Side

1. main.sql and log.sql is a basic sql you needed for a server...if you are going to use txt version, then you dont need to execute others sql file...but if you are planning to use all the database as sql, then yes you need to execute all of it...you can check this in wiki database installation and additional configuration section...https://rathena.org/wiki/SQL_Installation#Database_Installation

2. item_db.sql is for pre-ren and item_db_re.sql is for renewal...of course its have to be separate..its your choice either to make server for ren or pre-ren..

3. item_db.sql and item_db2.sql is two separate file..the main item db is item_db.sql...item_db2.sql created for ragnarok developer to separate two database so that he can easily access the database he created...for example he want to add custom item, and dont want to mix it with his main item db, then he can use item_db2.sql as his file to store all database for custom item that he made..but if you plan to use it in one folder, then there's no need to execute the item_db2.sql..just use item_db.sql as the main core database for item...

i think this is the explanation that you need....and if im wrong please do correct me cause im also still in learning process... /ok

Thank you so much for replying!

So if I want to run a renewal server, should I execute item_db_re.sql, mob_db_re.sql, etc in my ragnarok schema?

I have an issue when I enter my server by the way. Everything is black except for the gui, the npc's and my character, and I can't move my character. Is there a simple fix you know for this? I've tried downloading several different kRO folders and clients, but for some reason nothing on the client-side seems to have fixed the problem.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  57

yes...you should execute renewal sql for that....

the black blackground i think is problem from grf folder....try check this thread...https://rathena.org/board/topic/105174-new-character-black-background/#entry299206