Cant Connect through WAN IP

nitroglisc

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10

Okay so i got a client and everything and diffed it and i can login to my server as long as i use my LAN IP or 127.0.0.1 but if i try to login using the WAN ip in the clientinfo.xml it just sits on connecting for a miinute untill it says failed to connect, i dont have any firewalls and windows firewall has been disabled in the services. I have forwarded the ports and made sure i have a public IP that is static through my ISP. I checked with canyouseeme.org for my all my servers ports and it sees all of them and my login server shows the connection when i run the query from that website. I already tried making my subnet_athena 255.255.255.0:(LANIP):(LANIP) i dont know what the problem is please help??

7 answers to this question

Yeah so it turns out they dont all have to be the WAN IP, just the ones that say so, it was a subnet_athena issue that was preveneting my connections coming in right and then the other problem was i was trying to connect to a server hosted on my computer from my computer, so i was trying to connect to my own WAN IP and that doesnt work i guess lol. But I was able to get others connected to the server i just cant connect locally with that setting.

• Content Count:  14

is the server being hosted on your pc?

If yes to the previous question, are your map, char, and login server set to use your WAN IP or 127.0.0.1 (note:this is a redirect IP back to your computer also known as localhost)?

If yes to the WAN IP... um.........I am not sure.

If NO, and those are set to 127.0.0.1/localhost then you should only need to change the IP in their respective files in the conf folder [map_athena.conf + char_athena.conf + subnet_athena.conf + inter_athena.conf]

These files should all use ONE IP, EITHER ALL WAN OR ALL LAN! :]

subnet should be 255.255.255.0:[WAN IP]:[WAN IP] if I understand all this.

Hope this helps, also just a friendly reminder this type of question is asked and answered often around the forums, so in an effort to keep the peace and avoid many angry/hostile replies, if you haven't already, use the search bar in the top right. Or search it in google with rathena sprinkled in at the beginning. The google method has helped me tons.

Let me know if this works for you okay? :D

is the server being hosted on your pc?

yes I am hosting it on my PC, I am trying to make it so my family and freinds can connect to it through the internet.

If yes to the previous question, are your map, char, and login server set to use your WAN IP or 127.0.0.1 (note:this is a redirect IP back to your computer also known as localhost)?

If yes to the WAN IP... um.........I am not sure.

If NO, and those are set to 127.0.0.1/localhost then you should only need to change the IP in their respective files in the conf folder [map_athena.conf + char_athena.conf + subnet_athena.conf + inter_athena.conf]

These files should all use ONE IP, EITHER ALL WAN OR ALL LAN! :]

As for this In the config files for each of the servers i have it set to localhost where it says it should be where the other servers are located in respect to each other and in the part that says to use WAN IP i have my WAN IP, I dont see why i would make them all the same because there should be no reason for the login server to have to go all the way out into the internet and back through my WAN IP to connect to the map server.

subnet should be 255.255.255.0:[WAN IP]:[WAN IP] if I understand all this.

I have tried the subnet_athena with this configuration as well as with 255.255.255.0:[LanIP]:[LanIP]

Hope this helps, also just a friendly reminder this type of question is asked and answered often around the forums, so in an effort to keep the peace and avoid many angry/hostile replies, if you haven't already, use the search bar in the top right. Or search it in google with rathena sprinkled in at the beginning. The google method has helped me tons.

Let me know if this works for you okay? :D

Yeah i tried searching the forums as well as googling and i did find several posts that were similar to this problem but all with varying solutions and none of them worked for me. I did see that people were told to use the search function first which is why I tried searching for the answer so much. I will keep posting answers to any questions that might help you help me!

I remain on the point that the config files should be using the WAN IP.

127.0.0.1 is a loopback to the host a.k.a your computer.

The clientinfo.xml is attempting to connect to the server which is currently being hosted on 127.0.0.1

The server may only be accessed via 127.0.0.1, so your config files need to connect via your WAN IP.

Your family and friends should then be able to access it since the server would now be hosted publicly.

TL:DR Config files need WAN IP.

If that doesn't work, I will take a look at my server files to verify and comeback with any changes. Otherwise I will have to look at some other threads for ideas or maybe someone else will come along with another idea

Edit: just double checked my server. All conf files need to be using the SAME IP or in  your case WAN IP!.

Edited by Suno

I remain on the point that the config files should be using the WAN IP.

127.0.0.1 is a loopback to the host a.k.a your computer.

The clientinfo.xml is attempting to connect to the server which is currently being hosted on 127.0.0.1

The server may only be accessed via 127.0.0.1, so your config files need to connect via your WAN IP.

Your family and friends should then be able to access it since the server would now be hosted publicly.

TL:DR Config files need WAN IP.

If that doesn't work, I will take a look at my server files to verify and comeback with any changes. Otherwise I will have to look at some other threads for ideas or maybe someone else will come along with another idea

Edit: just double checked my server. All conf files need to be using the SAME IP or in  your case WAN IP!.

So when you say they /all/ need to be the same, in the map_athena and the char_athena there are 2 places for IP's, one for the location of the other server, and one for the IP that players will be connecting to, if im correct. Are you saying they all have to be my WAN IP? cause if so something went terribly wrong when i tried it, my servers would not login to each other.

inter_athena.conf

// Global SQL settings
// overridden by local settings when the hostname is defined there
// (currently only the login-server reads/obeys these settings)
sql.db_hostname: [WAN IP]
sql.db_port: 3306
sql.db_username: ADMIN
sql.db_password: PASS
sql.db_database: ragnarok
sql.codepage:

// MySQL Character SQL server
char_server_ip: [WAN IP]
char_server_port: 3306
char_server_id: ADMIN
char_server_pw: PASS
char_server_db: ragnarok

// MySQL Map SQL Server
map_server_ip: [WAN IP]
map_server_port: 3306
map_server_id: ADMIN
map_server_pw: PASS
map_server_db: ragnarok

// MySQL Log SQL Database
log_db_ip: [WAN IP]
log_db_port: 3306
log_db_id: ADMIN
log_db_pw: PASS
log_db_db: log
log_codepage:
log_login_db: loginlog

char_athena.conf

// Login Server IP
// The character server connects to the login server using this IP address.
// NOTE: This is useful when you are running behind a firewall or are on
// a machine with multiple interfaces.
login_ip: [WAN IP]

// The character server listens on the interface with this IP address.
// NOTE: This allows you to run multiple servers on multiple interfaces
// while using the same ports for each server.
//bind_ip: 127.0.0.1

// Login Server Port
login_port: 6900

// Character Server IP
// The IP address which clients will use to connect.
// Set this to what your server's public IP address is.
char_ip: [WAN IP]

// Character Server Port
char_port: 6121

map_athena.conf

// Character Server IP
// The map server connects to the character server using this IP address.
// NOTE: This is useful when you are running behind a firewall or are on
// a machine with multiple interfaces.
char_ip: [WAN IP]

// The map server listens on the interface with this IP address.
// NOTE: This allows you to run multiple servers on multiple interfaces
// while using the same ports for each server.
//bind_ip: 127.0.0.1

// Character Server Port
char_port: 6121

// Map Server IP
// The IP address which clients will use to connect.
// Set this to what your server's public IP address is.
map_ip: [WAN IP]

// Map Server Port
map_port: 5121

This is the current setup I have for a VPN hosted server and it leaves me without issues at the moment. And should take care of the trouble. If you run the server bat and there are ANY errors please screen shot and post so I might better help. :D

Alrighty, glad it all worked out for you :]