Extending WiFi range? Need help

Lord Ganja

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  444

Hello, I was just thinking if anyone here could help me in extending the range of my wifi?

I have 2 different router. Tenda W316R and Aterm WF300HP.

I looked for guides in google but whenever I come up with the implementation, it never works. 

and is it possible to extend the wireless range without using a LAN CABLE which is connected to both router.

I mean, like the Router2 will receive the signal from Router1(connected to the internet modem), and the Router2

will increase the range of the Router1 but without having a LAN CABLE between Router1 and Router2..

And I need a clean guide because I usually messed up when I don't understand some of the guides.lol

anyway, if anyone could help. Thanks a lot :)  /no1

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  247

As far as the Tenda goes it has WDS capabilities (http://www.tenda.cn/tendacn/product/show.aspx?productid=380) so you should be able to set up the Aterm router (I can't read the specs on it) as a normal wireless hotspot.  Then you would want to find an area at the farthest point where you would get at least 40-60% signal from the Aterm and that's where you would set up the Tenda router with the WDS service (you could do the setup right next to each other).  After you get the Tenda router to successfully repeat the Aterm router's signal, you'd probably need to do some setup of the DHCP on the Tenda router (may do this automatically).

It's generally not a good idea to mix and match brands of routers for repeating as they always have their own firmware and strange things happen even if you think you've set them up correctly.  What I stated above is the general steps you'd take for this.  I've done these setups multiple times, but you seem to be using foreign devices, so I can't help as far as specific steps.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  444

As far as the Tenda goes it has WDS capabilities (http://www.tenda.cn/tendacn/product/show.aspx?productid=380) so you should be able to set up the Aterm router (I can't read the specs on it) as a normal wireless hotspot.  Then you would want to find an area at the farthest point where you would get at least 40-60% signal from the Aterm and that's where you would set up the Tenda router with the WDS service (you could do the setup right next to each other).  After you get the Tenda router to successfully repeat the Aterm router's signal, you'd probably need to do some setup of the DHCP on the Tenda router (may do this automatically).

It's generally not a good idea to mix and match brands of routers for repeating as they always have their own firmware and strange things happen even if you think you've set them up correctly.  What I stated above is the general steps you'd take for this.  I've done these setups multiple times, but you seem to be using foreign devices, so I can't help as far as specific steps.

Thanks for your post akinari..

Anyway, I was just curious on how will I set up the tenda as the repeater.

I don't know how to match the aterm to tenda and repeat the signal..

My aterm was from japan. the language was in japanese. That's why i use googlechrome when configuring it from lan. and the chrome automatically translate it for me.

So based from your post, I really need to use the aterm as the normal hotspot and use the tenda as the repeater.

Lemme try it again.. 

Thanks again akinari.

EDIT:

you'd probably need to do some setup of the DHCP on the Tenda router (may do this automatically).

hello, akinari. Could you tell me the setup in the DHCP on the Tenda Router?

I got stucked here. I already set the tenda as the repeater. But I don't know about

setting up of the DHCP..

Edited by Lord Ganja

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  247

You would probably not want a DHCP service on your repeater as it likely won't work.  You should disable it on the Tenda router.  Be warned that after disabling this if the setup isn't correct, it won't be able to automatically hand you an IP and you'll need to specify one in you computer settings to get a connection into the router again.