Ind

va_list business

for no particular reason at ~4:20 am i stumbled upon http://svn.netlabs.org/repos/gl2/include/cstdarg and then realized all the va_stuff business rathena makes use of in all map_foreachin<whatever> procedures, for instance: map_foreachinmap

for(i=blockcount;i<bl_list_count;i++)
	if(bl_list[i]->prev)
	{
		va_list ap;
		va_start(ap, type);
		returnCount += func(bl_list[i], ap);
		va_end(ap);
	}

wouldnt

va_list ap;
va_start(ap, type);
for(i=blockcount;i<bl_list_count;i++)
	if(bl_list[i]->prev) {
		returnCount += func(bl_list[i], ap);
	}
va_end(ap);

be way more efficient? the arguments being passed are never changed during the loop, whats the point in recreating the damn thing bl_list_count times?

There is no practical performance gain as va_start just do some pointer arithmetic and va_end does nothing, btw the code will be more beautiful if the va_list were created just one time.

There is no practical performance gain as va_start just do some pointer arithmetic and va_end does nothing, btw the code will be more beautiful if the va_list were created just one time.

+1

After some tests I realized va_arg moves the va_lists' internal offset whenever you retrieve a arg (moves equivalent to the size of that arg), so indeed the va_start must be re-run (we can't simply zero the offset because the offset field is platform-dependant). I'll move the va_list outside the loop as you suggested

Actually if it is passed as a argument it wont change on the next use, btw the va is just a pointer on the stack to the arguments.

Actually if it is passed as a argument it wont change on the next use, btw the va is just a pointer on the stack to the arguments.

but va_list type is also system dependent at times it is a pointer, at times it isnt: (be aware its 5am i might have missed something D: bear with me)

#if defined(__PPC__)
#if defined(__NT__)
   typedef char * __va_list;
#else
   typedef struct {
     char  __gpr;
     char  __fpr;
     char  __reserved[2];
     char *__input_arg_area;
     char *__reg_save_area;
   } __va_list;
 #endif
#elif defined(__AXP__)
 typedef struct {
   char *__base;
   int   __offset;
 } __va_list;
#elif defined(__MIPS__)
 typedef struct {
   char *__base;
   int   __offset;
 } __va_list;
#elif defined(__HUGE__) || defined(__SW_ZU)
 typedef char _WCFAR *__va_list[1];
#else
 typedef char *__va_list[1];
#endif

it appears my table from above is outdated; I've used gdb to take a look at my current one and its like this (not like any of the above):

ap = {{
   gp_offset = 24, 
   fp_offset = 48, 
   overflow_arg_area = 0x7fff5fbfc500, 
   reg_save_area = 0x7fff5fbfc400
 }}

I've found some more about the above one in Apple's Darwin stuff: http://opensource.apple.com/source/cc/cc-798/cc/ginclude/va-ppc.h

Strange, atleast on x86 systems it should be just a pointer walking through the stack.

What could be implemented was done in r16933