Packet version 8 compatibility issue

MaQc

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8

Hi, i'm trying to use eAthena's latest revision (trunk 15192) with an old client (Xray 2007-09-04, supposed to be packet ver 8) and I can't get it to work. I tried to change the packetver in mmo.h to a couple of thing, with no success.

I tried:

#ifndef PACKETVER
#define PACKETVER 20070904
#endif

and:

#ifndef PACKETVER
#define PACKETVER 8
#endif

But it did not work at all. I was able to connect threw the login and char server, but i get the "Failed to connect to server" error on the map server.

To make sure that the client was the real problem, I tried the same settings with another client (Xray 2008-01-02, supposed to be packet ver 9). Then, i was able to connect to the server, but every NPC and monsters where missings. I read on some other topics that the "invisible" npc and monsters problem were a packet problem, so I figured that the packet compatibility was the real issue.

Also, if that can be of some help, i'm running the server on Ubuntu server LTS and i'm running eAthena SQL.

So yeah... Is there any way to make the newer revision compatible with packet version 8? Thanks for helping me!

2 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  410

May I ask why you're trying to run such an old client to begin with?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8

Sure; it`s pretty simple. First, I want the old interface (old skill window, old stats window, old equipement window, etc.) and I found it easier to use the Xray client to add the customs. Also, i`m using an old version on the Gravity GRF (sdata.grf, episode 13; around 2007) wich (i think) is not compatible with the lub and lua files. It`s not because I don`t want to update, it`s just because my server is old-style oriented.