Diminishing returns on pots

Zeal

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2

Healing items being apart of games is perfectly normal but very few, if any, successful MMO's have them as spammable items. This applies for healing, buffs, utility, you name it. What I am suggesting, and requesting a script for, is for potions to instead be changed to have diminishing returns.

What that means is that for every repeated use, the item at hand will have a lesser return value for repeated usage. For example, a potion that heals for 100 hp will heal that much its first use. On the second use, it'll diminish 15% of the maximum effect, reoccuring until it essentially heals for 0 hp. The cooldown will be determined by how many pots were use in succession. For example, for each potion used 1.5 seconds will be added to your cooldown before potions heal to maximum effciency. So using 3 potions in succession will basically leave you at 4.5 seconds before potions heal you fully. The trade off between this is to raise how much a single potion heals to a much larger amount of health which would be fair.

Because potions will heal a much more respectable amount, there will be no reason to keep yggs in any competitive gameplay as they would make all of the suggested changed null. My recommendation if they are to be kept is to add a very large SHARED cooldown for them, say 2-3 minutes. That will be good for "oh shit" moments adding to strategy.

What this does is allows players to recover from an asura strike enough to survive but not allow them to insta OHKO another player, however they have that option to use their long cooldown (yggs) if necessary. But more importantly, it'll prevent players from acting carelessly when pvping because they won't be able to pot their way to victory. A brief moment of carelessness will be allowed but face rolling the game will no longer be a viable option. Strategy and teamwork will once again become a key factor in determining when and how much to pot.

These numbers don't have to be exact, they're just examples to help with the process of understanding the mechanics. And obviously Creator potions wouldn't be effected because the animation makes it out damageable so that's not a concern and I want people to consider playing a Creator as support as well. My goal with this is to get players playing support classes as more than just buff slaves but key factors in determining battles, like so many other successful MMO's.

3 answers to this question

• Content Count:  29

based on your post it sounds like you've never been a part of any competitive guild in ro. without lots of pots to spam, people die *instantly*. if you're looking for really slow gameplay, ro, even with renewal, is probably not for you.

kinda weird to hear someone say that not enough support classes are played, i guess you probably only play on small servers.

• Content Count:  2

Quite the opposite actually, I have participated in both iRO and private servers. I have done both WoE and PvP with large guilds involved and one of the bigger issues that's always bothered me is how fast you can press a button (pot your way to victory) and win. You don't see this in other games because most of them have a short cooldown on potions in general so it's never been an issue; even with "fast paced" gameplay.

And the current server I play on allows ROmedic so no one plays support classes for anything but buff slaves, which is the point of my thread. Potions will still be viable, you just won't be able to use a hundred of them in 30 seconds.

Edited by Zeal

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  835

adding delay is good too. but just 50% player will agree with you.. another 50% wont agree because they good at press pot healing fast.

most of the server player will using a hack dunno call what. is when hp below some % like 40% will auto recovery(mean auto using pot even you no click).... =.=" kinda lame they create something cheat like that.

Edited by manabeast