Regarding usebasename flag of instancing system

saithis

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40

When the 3rd parameter of the script command instance_attachmap is set, the server sends the normal mapname to the client instead of <instance number>@mapname.

This was implemented for 2 purposes:

1. make the instancing system usable on old clients, that lack the instancing support

2. to make custom scripts possible, which use normal maps as a instance (for example: instanciate prontera for a special event)

Some time later the instance system was changed, so that users get redirected to their instance, when a script tries to warp them to the basemap. That change more or less made the usebasename flag useless for custom scripts, since the basemap would get unuseable when creating the instance.

So I think this flag should either be removed, or it should be fixed.

One possibility to fix this would be to disable the redirects, when the usebasemap flag got set.

The custom scripts would have to use has_instance() to get the mapname before they warp the player.

I would prefer to fix it, instead of removing it.

Edit:

I just realized, that you can workaround this issue by duplication the map and then instancing it.

So i case someone uses this way, it shouldn't be removed for backwards compatiblity.

Edited by saithis

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2997

The "faking" of an instanced map name was introduced as a default for maps not named with the i@mapname structure in the r17386 rewrite.

We aren't going to worry about outdated client support, as explained by this topic.