In need of advice before starting my Dedicated custom RO server journey!

thusky

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1

Hello there, glad to finally get the resolve to ask my "oh so many questions" thread!

After spending multiple weeks on and off research I have a few questions to ask regarding my current server building plans.

1) First the installation guides/tutorials, I have seen plenty, for both Hercules and rAthena on how to setup a server, with many variations, among all of them does one of you veteran user of rAthena would recommend above others (official wiki included)?

2) I plan to follow those steps to create my first server:

- Get a pre-renewal dedicated server running (either using Linux (online hosting) or Windows (local hosting).
- Change a mob sprite while keeping most of the logic intact (did follow multiple tutorials on how to add new sprites).
- Change a map (completely, adding new models with new textures, again followed a series of videos dedicated to that subject already).

Is following this pattern a sane plan? I imagine if I can get 1 mob working or 1 map going, it'll be mostly rince and repeat for the rest of the server right?

Those were mostly graphical plans, I do intend to add/tweak existing logic within the game.

3) I've seen pre-made scripts, tutorials on how to make scripts and more. What would be the best path to follow for someone like me with previous C# experience only (meaning 2 years of coding on and off again)?

4) I'm a Pixel Artist first, with recent low poly 3D knowledge (Blender, 2 years). I imagine this would be sufficient to supply a custom amount of content on the long run, I'm just a tad worried things might not go as planned, is this forum active enough in case of small hurdle/questions to be asked?

5) I did see the job section and the request forum, while those are most useful, I didn't see many requests for mentorship? (I'm one of those guys who believes that if you teach a guy how to catch fish he'll be fine on his own rather than just bringing the goods on the table ya know?). Are those kind of requests viable? With a mentor I'd learn much more on the long run.

6) Not a question, just a shared experience. I played RO for many years (pre-renewal mostly), alone and/or with friends, guilds and more, got disappointed with Tree of Savior (RIP), recently found Aspen Grove (10x rate server with some custom stuff) and found my love of the game with friends again. I hope to create a blend of Diablo 2 and Ragnarok Online, in broad terms, not having a bigger scope than going one step at a time, made several game prototypes in my spare time and one does not simply make a game, it is a perilious journey. I hope to share happy events as I go along my project (which I will post in a different section, in time)

PS:
Thank you for taking the time to read this long post and even more for answering any of the aforementioned points,

Have a good one!

Nils

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet