how do i make a private ragnarok rathena server?

cheewei30

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41

hey guys , i wish to make a new server.. some of the forum shows that we can actually purchase a private ragnarok server via ro-vps website. is this the best solution to get myself a private ragnarok serevr?

2 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  107

Depends on a lot of thing's to be able to run a successful Ragnarok Online server, buying hosting first that includes a server install for you isn't the way to go imho, If you click on the links above you under github it will take you to the server files if you download them to your desktop, and look under threads of the forums you will find posts teaching you on how to make an offline server and client files and teach you how to script and so on.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  399

Basically got 3 way..

By using dedicated server (ro hosting) or unmanage vps or own hosting.

Each would have pro & con

Dedicated server (ro hosting), basically ready made server.. made u job much easier.. plus, some would provide u anti ddos feature.. however it depend on region. If US / Europe region.. perhaps price doesn't much differ with unmanage vps. But, for asia especially south east asia.. i've seen several ro hosting, in term of rental fees.. slightly expensive to US / Europe rate. Not all ro hosting. But some..

Unmanage vps. Can be said clean machine. U need to setup everything from scratch.. compiler, webserver, mysql server & etc.. normally OS used is linux (either centos or debian distribution). It might give u headache to setup everything. But, no worries. As this OS practically open source software, everything u need to know can be obtain by google around. for those who farmiliar with linux OS + would like to have custom setup with root access. Unmanage vps is the best choice..

Own hosting... same like unmanage vps.. but, the difference here. U have the physical server in front of u.. it would even not cost u a single cent to host the ro server. U can use ur current laptop. But, to achieve this. It will involving some networking knowledge. Port forwarding, basic firewall filter & ipban feature.. just want to secure ur server.. it depend on what build & what u audience.. which mean.. how these two will bring tendency for people to hack ur server.. if the tendency is high, u might need some powerful modem / router so that it last long during DDoS / can ban the ip of  port scanner / DDoS.

On 16/03/2017 at 9:01 PM, Poseidon said:

Depends on a lot of thing's to be able to run a successful Ragnarok Online server, buying hosting first that includes a server install for you isn't the way to go imho, If you click on the links above you under github it will take you to the server files if you download them to your desktop, and look under threads of the forums you will find posts teaching you on how to make an offline server and client files and teach you how to script and so on.

Yup. For starting. Buying a hosting isn't good way to do.. (u might need to get use with emulator first). try to make it offline first.. then expand it, by make it online (this is can be considered as own hosting, it depend on how u advertise ur server). Some may taking longer time to build the community. Thus own hostinf may be cost efficient to sustain & running the server.. later when the community grow & u need some better specs, feature & security. Can choose either unmanage vps / ro hosting..

Sorry for my bad english.. this language is not my primary language.. hope this explanation will give u better idea.. anyway, goodluck!.

EDIT - just recalled i've bookmarked this tutorial.. hopefully u won't lost in setup ur server.

Edited by hazimjauhari90