Is playing rathena private server illegal?

Rins

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23

Greetings everyone,

I've been searching on the net about the legallity of ragnarok private servers in general and i found that running rathena emulator is legal because it is a free software developed by vulenteers, but using the ragnarok client which contains the maps/spirites/textures..etc is illegal to use for an other purpose of what intended because it is copyrighted to Gravity company, those information were posted in the sites i found for like 5 years ago.

I know that Gravity doesn't do anything about that anyways, but i do want to know if anything has changed now, is it still illegal to use ragnarok client to connect to pservers ? or has gravity released ragnarok client for free ?

Thanks in advance

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  164

There is nothing to say that you cannot modify your own client (except perhaps the game client's Terms of Service) but that's hardly international law.

However, the distribution of Gravity's game client, modified to work with private servers, is against international trademark and copyright laws as per the Berne Convention. Gravity's RO client is 'free' to download and use, not 'free' to modify and re-distribute.

Source: Got into legal trouble with Gravity years ago. /oops

• Upvote 1

Thank you rayn for your reply,

So, you are saying modifying the client, like hexing it, is okay as long as you do not distribute it modified, i do really need to make sure of this information because i read, several times, somewhere else that modifying the client is illegal aswell, and that makes sense because many games if not all of them put it in the client's agreement or its terms of use.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  164

Well, the Internet is not the greatest legal forum - do not get legal advice from random people like me.

That said - it's probably against Gravity's terms of service to modify the game client, and the client have anti-hack features built in to prevent this. However, how would Gravity know if you modified its game client if you don't use it to connect to an official server, and it never communicates with Gravity?

Modifying the client is 'okay' in that Gravity will never know about it, unless you distribute it, which is against international laws.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for replying rayn.