Which client, client ver, && / || data

JiKeidan

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34

So, I have been working for the last few days pretty diligently, trying to get a working server and client up for Ragnarok... this is a question, however... so bear with me as I want to make my understanding of how these things work, clear... to assist you (kind soul) in helping me ^.^

I am beginning to see how things function...

2012 Clients and later use Alexandria's v3 Data package...

Data package in these later clients REQUIRE grf file to be made of said package...

<2012 Clients use respective versions, but I've only been willing to go back as far as 2011-03... which uses Alexandria's Data pack v2.

Shin's Differ works magick on the clients, hexing them to your specifically desired functionality... a few things being required (specifcally skipping packet header obfuscation and not reading data files first), everything else seems to be fairly dynamic in choice.

Lua versions have to match your client.. .if you are trying to use Lua versions in Alexandria's v3. data package, with <2012 clients, then you are to be bombarded with plenty of lua death messages, threatening your sanity (nor can u use <=v2. with >=2012 clients)

The obvious importance of keeping your dates and packages consistant is not in question, however... in either of 2 scenarios (whichever will work)...

Running v3 with 2012-04-10aRagexeRE client:

Even using Earthlingz's obfuscation dll, there is no way to "skip packet header obfuscation" in diff... so squaring everything else away... 0x970 byte will disco the user EVERY time, after character selection.

Running v2 with ohhh... go with 2012-03-15aRagexeRE client (since it is by far the most predictable and stable i've worked with, OF the 2011 series):

Great! We can skip packet header obfuscation, but now when I am finally able to get into the server and dance around a bit... my celebrating is cut short as I am frozen solid, and if i send too many chat messages (none of which are appearing in my main chat), the server disco's me anyway...

If I use any other client, I either get tiny window syndrom (window is barely big enough to make out any of the serial number in the bottom-corner of the screen) or the client refuses to load... as in, thinks for a couple seconds about it, and then goes back into it's folder and stays away from memory =P

To conclude... how in the world were any of you able to get your ragnarok clients working with any version?  Not for lack of trying, but I'm failing around every turn. 

If anyone out there is able to ask the right questions and help me realign the way I think about this entire operation, I would be very appreciative.  I think this is going to require actual conversation though.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  16

I am in the exact same boat lol. I've tried every guide and still can't seem to figure it out. Being new at this is horrible..

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  34

LoL yes it is, I think once I finally have a more thorough grasp on it, I'm writing up a newbie doc on the wiki... maybe they'll use it, maybe not... but wow it'd be useful.

thanks for reading it btw lol... I'm beginning to lose faith in the ability for others to even understand my literal speak =\

I'd also like to add...

http://rathena.org/board/topic/79839-unknown-byte-0x970-20120410ragexre-rathena-17179-kro-20121001/

the topic I opened up on the 0x970 byte... because if possible, i'd prefer to get it working with the 2012-04-10 client executable