After selecting server to connect to, get error 'Failed to connect to server'

Feldherren

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8

So, I'm having problems connecting to a server that I'm hosting on a computer of mine on the LAN. That computer's incapable of running the client - comes up with a 3d3/GRF-problem error - so I'm testing on another of my computers. So far so good.

Due to my continued inability to properly diff a client, I'm using the client available here; Hendra's client. This isn't itself the problem as it gets along rather nicely with my server, picking it up in the list of available services as long as I input a viable username/password combination. Or, well, not alone the issue, since being able to see my server named properly in the list of services is a step up from just getting connection refused when I try to log in with any combination.

No, my problem is that after picking my own server from the list and waiting for a few seconds, I get the error message 'Failed to connect to server'.

Peering at the login server on the other machine shows me this:

[status]: Request for connection of GMFeld (ip: 192.168.0.112).
[Notice]: Authentication accepted (account: GMFeld, id: 2000000, ip: 192.168.0.112)
[status]: Connection of the account 'GMFeld' accepted.
[info]: Closed connection from '192.168.0.112'.

Watching the server whilst attempting to log in (all hail Remote Desktop Connection) reveals that as soon as the client connects (and presumably retrieves the list of servers) the connection closes.

At any rate, can anyone shed some light on this? If any additional information would be useful, do say; I'm entirely new to this, though I managed to muddle my way this far, so I'm not sure what would be most helpful. Ultimately I don't know whether this is a server-related issue, client-related issue, or both.
Edited by Feldherren

3 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3

check your packet_db.txt

must be match with your client date....

packet_db.txt has packet_db_ver 30,the value that matches 2012-04-10aRagexeRE. If that's what you mean. My client is dated 2012-04-10. The map server confirms that it's looking for version 30.

It still instantly closes my connection to the login server, and won't let me progress- in fact, it disconnects me on the service select if I wait around long enough.

That hasn't helped me get any further, I'm afraid.

...so, I worked out the problem myself. It wasn't the client, but the server. The char server, to be specific; I  had the wrong IP set up in char_athena.conf and map_athena.conf, so I guess they weren't talking to each other.

• Upvote 1