30k concurrent players RO private server, is this possible?

Pyromanix

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3

Hi all.

Recently, one of my work colleague claimed that back in 2005, he hosted RO private server, with at least 30000 players online at the same time. I find this very hard to believe, but some other of my colleague said it's possible because RO bandwidth requirement is very low...

Is this truly possible? Can rAthena or any other app support that many players?

What kind of server hardware needed for this?

Appreciate any input. I personally feel he is bluffing, but I lack any facts to say otherwise :)

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  657

I very much doubt it. The most popular server back then was AnimaRO and it peaked at 3.5k-ish players in 2007. A lot of drama happened, the server splitted and it got somewhat ruined after that. So 30k...? Nah, no way.

A little background while we're at it (screenshot of Gravity's annual report).

2002 to 2006 (Notice the USA & Canada servers couldn't even reach past 10k players in 2005)

FDhqHx1.png

2007 to 2010

v3dEppP.png

Report : http://secfilings.nasdaq.com/edgar_conv_html%2f2010%2f06%2f01%2f0000950123-10-054555.html

Edited by Tokei
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  35

not at all possible maybe 1000 people was even hard to obtain in those days but 30000 , this isnt world of warcraft. People barely know ragnarok still exists today. Its become more of a peer to peer mmo now.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  78

I've heard of that article, it's a way to advertising themselves and yet they failed for it. There wouldn't be a way to have 30k players online at once in 2014. No, just No. Perhaps it's possible if he's Justin Bieber or something, even though this can be only happened in one day xD

Edited by Talon

I am very skeptical of his claim, but dont want to straightaway calling it a bluff since I have been away from private RO for soo long ( was using darkweiss back then)

Appreciate your input guys :)

• Group:  Developer
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2285

lie, just a lie. xD I've saw many PSs from certain country that play with online player counter.

but if the question support up-to 30k connection with high-end hardware, let's say like standard Dedicated Server that cost $200/mo, it's possible.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  99

He's probably running Aegis if its true? But the last time I checked and afaik DarkRO has the largest pop back then.

Bandwidth consumption is low indeed and it is possible to have a server with 30,000 concurrent connection. Only thing you need to do is edit Linux headers to allow more than 1024 connection otherwise it wont happen.

On a side note:

There is a server last 2012 with more than 24k players. It's a Thai server running in Eathena.

Edited by trinity

• Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  420

He's probably running Aegis if its true? But the last time I checked and afaik DarkRO has the largest pop back then.

Bandwidth consumption is low indeed and it is possible to have a server with 30,000 concurrent connection. Only thing you need to do is edit Linux headers to allow more than 1024 connection otherwise it wont happen.

On a side note:

There is a server last 2012 with more than 24k players. It's a Thai server running in Eathena.

Minus 23k bots :D I suspect this is a total number, not online, right?

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  99

Nope. They're even using harmony.

I guess he either boasting it or making up the number then ( ..or could be he forgot the actual number since it's been a while :D )

He did confirmed that he is using eAthena, and his server is Malaysian-based. The server name is DemonicRoseRO which sometimes referred to as Melaka RO or IceAge RO.

It's very interesting to know that 30k concurrent connections are possible for non-commercial server, because this is the main 'bullet' for me to shoot his claim down :D

Though...in light of what you guys have highlighted plus the extra handicaps he gave to himself  ( It's in 2005, server is a single Pentium 4 PC, hosted from his home using consumer level broadband which that time is ~1Mbps top ( plus it's ADSL, the upload is way less than that ), all players in one area, it's during WoE, and so on )  I guess it's just not plausible.

Thank you for all your input guys, really appreciate it ~~~

Edited by Pyromanix

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  59

Lol i barely got 300  on my opening, 30k would be insane

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1096

Interesting. How are server owners manage and distrubute emulator loads by big amount of connected players?

eAthena not multicored. And it eats CPU very well.

Packet per second at any active event is very high ( > 80k pps with online > 400 at WOE )

I can not imagine how administrators handle the load on the servers of 10k live players. (2012, 2013, 2014 Asian Servers)

• 5 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  135

Uh... 10k is not a big deal at all.
Ragnarok really use little resource.

And.. I call it bullshit too ( 30k players ), but yes, it is possible, you guys forget that it's possible to host different maps in different machines.
buut.. it was 2005, as people said, eAthena didn't support more than 1024, so I find very hard to believe he had 30 dedicated servers for his server :P