Random Accounts Being Created

Dori

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  332

I'm posting this topic in hopes of finding a solution to my issue.

I am currently in the process of developing a server.  I am hosting my server with Trinity Networks. So far I have only been with them for a short while.

Anyhow, In the first week I noticed a couple of random accounts (in-game) have been created, which were not created by me.

At this point the registrations in the CP were not disabled. So I deleted the 2 random accounts and disabled registrations in Flux CP. 

Registering with _M/_F are also disabled in-game (just in case). My client is not released any where on the web either.

I checked the 'login' table in phpmyadmin 2 days ago and saw over 10 random accounts have been created. None of the created accounts had e-mails. Some of them had different IP addresses while some had the same or similar IP addresses. I checked my char_log and it showed up 2 characters from 2 of these randomly created accounts. Some of the accounts had 5~10 login counts, but I know that no one is able to log in-game since I have only allowed Gm level 99 users to login.

I reported this problem to Trinity, so far we have not found what is causing the problem.

I have been with other hosting companies before and I have never experienced something of this sort.

So I am hoping some one here will be able to help me or guide me in to finding what's going on.

Thank you in advance!

• Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  403

When you signed up at Trinity, were you given a fixed username and password to connect to the SQL database, or did you get to choose your own?

If the latter, I don't know. If the first, the cause might be that you were given the same connection info as a server that only recently ended their plan with Trinity. 

I've experienced this too, if a hosting provider loses a customer, they often times give that service slot to another (new) customer. With other words, the accounts that are being created might just be old players trying to see what's up with their old server. If the previous customer of Trinity still has a website/CP up with enabled registration, they are registering that way. An easy solution is to request a SQL password change.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  493

sounds weird...

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  332

When you signed up at Trinity, were you given a fixed username and password to connect to the SQL database, or did you get to choose your own?

If the latter, I don't know. If the first, the cause might be that you were given the same connection info as a server that only recently ended their plan with Trinity. 

I've experienced this too, if a hosting provider loses a customer, they often times give that service slot to another (new) customer. With other words, the accounts that are being created might just be old players trying to see what's up with their old server. If the previous customer of Trinity still has a website/CP up with enabled registration, they are registering that way. An easy solution is to request a SQL password change.

Yes, I was given a fixed username and a password. Thank you very much for all the information you've provided. I will go on and have my sql password changed. Thank you Najara.