How to run Chaos on Windows 7

Download

r185832-1.zip

Edited by allofeve

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  133

Place data.grf in YARE folder. Start ARE1.BAT, ARE2.BAT and ARE3.BAT. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  24

pUPfLd.png

I don't run map-server with new data-client. What is data-client version to support it ?
Thank you.
Edited by allofeve

Judging from the size of the data.grf in your first picture, I'd guess your old client is just too old, even for the YARE client exe. What is that even? Thailand 2nd beta client? 

Try using this one instead http://www.gamefront.com/files/3640334/Ragnarok_Online_Client

Worked for me. It's a really old iRO client with patch files included for up to about December 2003 (Amatsu episode).

From your picture it doesn't look like the server initializes properly though. Char server should be listing all maps loaded. Map server should list all maps and NPCs.

By the way, you should know that this server is from before emulators had gotten to a playable state. It's from when Ragnarok was still in "episode 2.0" (before the big Comodo update). Many things don't work.

I don't think any emulators were any good before about 2004. If you want to play really old Ragnarok you should get an old version of AEGIS instead. I think you can find AEGIS versions that are 2-1 class only.

Judging from the size of the data.grf in your first picture, I'd guess your old client is just too old, even for the YARE client exe. What is that even? Thailand 2nd beta client? 

Try using this one instead http://www.gamefront.com/files/3640334/Ragnarok_Online_Client

Worked for me. It's a really old iRO client with patch files included for up to about December 2003 (Amatsu episode).

From your picture it doesn't look like the server initializes properly though. Char server should be listing all maps loaded. Map server should list all maps and NPCs.

By the way, you should know that this server is from before emulators had gotten to a playable state. It's from when Ragnarok was still in "episode 2.0" (before the big Comodo update). Many things don't work.

I don't think any emulators were any good before about 2004. If you want to play really old Ragnarok you should get an old version of AEGIS instead. I think you can find AEGIS versions that are 2-1 class only.

I can't download file from this link. Do you have a mirror link ?

I want see zombie dragon.

1,45000,15000,0 monster_info Zombie Dragon 1181,32000

Thank you.

Edited by allofeve

Oh. Why didn't you just say you wanted to see Zombie Dragon? Just because the server has a monster entry for Zombie Dragon doesn't mean the client can display it. No one has the required 3D model for the client. Around this time Gravity had many plans for content that they didn't end up putting into the game. For instance, some monsters like Anubis and Gremlin took many years from they were initially created before they were put into the game. However Zombie Dragon was never released.

Thank you.

• 8 years later...

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  13

Hello @allofeve @curiosity I'm interested in server source code or working patched EXEs from this time era as well, not to see Zombie Dragon but as a way to relive some old memories with friends. I've searched across forums and open internet, but almost all links I come across is dead or not available in web.archive.org. Would one of you have any files to share for client & server side so that I could setup locally a 2004-2005 timeframe working configuration?

Best,
Myng

• 5 months later...

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  18

Sorry for the necro, but I finally got this running. Thanks for sharing that 2003 client, it looks like the YARE codebase is pretty finicky about the client version. It was interesting to see ye olde client interface with single list Kafra storage. Here's a few screenshots:

ro_2003_client2.png

screenYareCVS012.jpg

screenYareCVS014.jpg

screenYareCVS016.jpg

screenYareCVS018.jpg

Funny thing is that it kinda works with old versions of Openkore too, although there are a lot of missing packets

EDIT: Openkore now works flawlessly with new recvpackets.txt attached (generated using JCV's RO Tools and then manually corrected lengths)

Screenshot_openkore_new_recvpackets.thumb.png.43d393da16a848ef6b6cee66db8f4886.png

Also found a newer version of the Yare codebase (dated end of October 2003) on archive.org, which I've attached. The screenshots above are from this "newer" YareCVS server.

yareCVS.rar

recvpackets.txt

Edited by oldinroplayer
Added recvpackets and updated openkore screenshot
  • 8 months later...

• Content Count:  6

On 4/28/2023 at 9:46 AM, oldinroplayer said:

Sorry for the necro, but I finally got this running. Thanks for sharing that 2003 client, it looks like the YARE codebase is pretty finicky about the client version. It was interesting to see ye olde client interface with single list Kafra storage. Here's a few screenshots:

ro_2003_client2.png

screenYareCVS012.jpg

screenYareCVS014.jpg

screenYareCVS016.jpg

screenYareCVS018.jpg

Funny thing is that it kinda works with old versions of Openkore too, although there are a lot of missing packets

EDIT: Openkore now works flawlessly with new recvpackets.txt attached (generated using JCV's RO Tools and then manually corrected lengths)

Screenshot_openkore_new_recvpackets.thumb.png.43d393da16a848ef6b6cee66db8f4886.png

Also found a newer version of the Yare codebase (dated end of October 2003) on archive.org, which I've attached. The screenshots above are from this "newer" YareCVS server.

yareCVS.rar 784.49 kB · 15 downloads

recvpackets.txt 3.12 kB · 9 downloads

Can you explain to me please how I make this "newer yareCVS" work? What programs and steps are needed?

• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  18

On 1/10/2024 at 7:19 AM, Pateo said:

Can you explain to me please how I make this "newer yareCVS" work? What programs and steps are needed?

The "yareCVS.rar" as well as the original "r185832-1.zip" file has pre-compiled Windows EXEs. To start the server extract "yareCVS.rar" and run "serverstart.bat". The procedure for running the "r185832-1.zip" version is described in earlier posts above. Before you start the server, be sure to edit the file "cfg/grf-files.txt" and change the lines that reads "data:c:\PATH\TO\RAGNAROKONLINE\data.grf" to point to the "data.grf" file, otherwise the map server will just crash. If you get errors about DLLs, copy the ones from original "r185832-1.zip" to the extracted "yareCVS" folder.

You can recompile yareCVS using cygwin, but that will take some effort as getting cygwin up & running is a little tricky (it is a long discontinued project). I was able to get the server code recompiled in the same WinXP Home (32-bit) VM that I spun up to run the client in. OpenKore older versions also run quite well in the WinXP VM.