Unable to connect to server - please help :>

Stilhart

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12

I Made sure to google my query AND search the rAthena forum for a solution [plus i searched the rms forums and didn't find a similar topic. I've got all my port forwarding settings on my router right but When I open the client it says 'select service' with only the option "ragnarok" which isn't the name of any modified files related to my server OR client :x . When I hover over the "ragnarok" option in service select it says "The balloon"? If that clue helps at all Dx The server itself is completely setup and running. I've used runserver-sql.bat and it has no warnings or errors. The problem is that when I run ragnarok it doesn't even list it as an option. Did I miss changing some info somewhere to not cause it to divert it's target server host?

Edited by Stilhart

11 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1479

that configuration goes to /data/clientinfo.xml. check that file (open using a text editor) and you can set both server, and "The Balloon", and address (which is to be your server IP (127.0.0.1 for localhost / your WAN)).

• Upvote 1

that

configuration goes to /data/clientinfo.xml. check that file (open using

a text editor) and you can set both server, and "The Balloon", and

address (which is to be your server IP (127.0.0.1 for localhost / your

WAN)).

Okay, I don't fully get what I'd need to change to fix the problem if it is a result of this file. Here's it's original state

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="euc-kr" ?>
<clientinfo>
<servicetype>korea</servicetype>
<servertype>sakray</servertype>
   <connection>
      <display>Ragnarok</display>
      <balloon>Balloon</balloon>
      <desc>description</desc>
      <address>127.0.0.1</address>
      <port>6900</port>
      <version>26</version>
      <langtype>1</langtype>
      <registrationweb>flux.domain.com</registrationweb>
        <aid>
            <admin>2000000</admin>
			<admin>2000001</admin>
			<admin>2000002</admin>
        </aid>
        <loading>
            <image>loadingscreen01.jpg</image>
        </loading>
   </connection>
</clientinfo>

I don't see anything that should cause errors since the port and address are right. Is changing the <display> what I need to do? If so do I have to name it the same as my .GRF, my patched RO.exe, or localhost? If the problem is somewhere else in this file could you point it out for me? I'm sorry for being ignorant on the subject /wah

My main issue is every time I try to log-in the game says "Failed to connect to server". I thought it may have been an issue with not seeing the right server but that file proves it is set to 127.0.0.1

Like I said before the server itself runs fine so I figure it has to be an issue with either my settings somewhere in the MySQL program, something in the data files, or in the RO client files somewhere. The problem is I just... I just don't have the foggiest what or where D;

Edited by Stilhart

here's a detailed explanation for clientinfo.xml: http://rathena.org/wiki/Clientinfo

after reading that, do NOT change (only IFF you know what you're doing):

- <servicetype>

- <servertype>

- <version>

- <langtype>

(it just got correctly running)

You were saying about you have forwarded the port correctly. check it if it's really open to the net or not: www.canyouseeme.org

(let's talk about connecting it offline first)

Are those 3 server exes have the permission of both Windows Firewall and your own Firewall to communicate through Internet communication system (through the net)?

* Windows Firewall rules editing: Start > Control Panel > search: "Allow a program"

Where did you get the clientinfo.xml? is it from data folder? or GRF folder?

How do you get the client? do you diff it manually? or downloaded others'?

If you diff it manually, do you enable "read data folder first"?  (If yes, then you can put the edited clientinfo on the data folder. if no, then you need to put it inside    a grf)

• Upvote 1

here's a detailed explanation for clientinfo.xml: http://rathena.org/wiki/Clientinfo

after reading that, do NOT change (only IFF you know what you're doing):

- <servicetype>

- <servertype>

- <version>

- <langtype>

(it just got correctly running)

You were saying about you have forwarded the port correctly. check it if it's really open to the net or not: www.canyouseeme.org

(let's talk about connecting it offline first)

Are those 3 server exes have the permission of both Windows Firewall and your own Firewall to communicate through Internet communication system (through the net)?

* Windows Firewall rules editing: Start > Control Panel > search: "Allow a program"

Where did you get the clientinfo.xml? is it from data folder? or GRF folder?

How do you get the client? do you diff it manually? or downloaded others'?

If you diff it manually, do you enable "read data folder first"?  (If yes, then you can put the edited clientinfo on the data folder. if no, then you need to put it inside    a grf)

I am checking the firewall settings now, It'll take a second for me to figure out since I've never accessed this part of my computer before, I'll get back to you on whether I figure out how to work it, haha.

I made the edits to the XMLS file which is in my data file, then after I changed it I merged the data directory into a single GRF and place it in my client folder with the weediff'd ragnarok client. The changes the the name and balloon worked, so I don't think it is an issue with this file. Another user linked me to that info page, it really helped just not with my particular problem xD

I used the rAthena/trunk for the servers

I got the client from here [the first DL link 20131101]: http://www.nickyzai.com/?p=kro

The client xlms was in the data folder I got from here: http://rathena.org/board/topic/66962-basic-complete-renewal-data-english-folder/

I used data V1... My exe/client date is 20111315 though, is it possible that is the problem? Or is that just going to be my NEXT problem xD

I do not select read data first because the guide I used said not to. Which, since the xlms is in the GRF i compile from my data folder is the correct choice, right?

Quick follow up question to the firewall thing, I'm looking at the options but I'm not sure which ones need to be ticked/un-ticked to allow my game to access the private server.

I added my patched client to the list of programs allowed to run through firewalls and the game still "failed to connect to server" so it looks like that one was a no go :x

I'll try Downloading the V. 3 While I wait for your further guidance and see if making a GRF with that will do the trick :>!

UPDATE:

SO, funny enough I switched from data v.1 to v.3 and replaced the system and AI file with the ones in the data v3 file.

This resulted in the [string "buf"] attempt to call global iter_gettable which was what  concluded my first attempt to make my server. However this time it pops up and then when I click okay it proceeds to load the game. I assume that means unlike last time the error is a result of needing to run the program as an administrator and not some file issue [As you can see I've had fun with errors before getting to this point, haha. lots of web surfing for answers xD]

Anywhoo, I have it set to always run as admin so it shouldn't prove an issue however it never gave the error when I ran it on the data V.1 so if it won't cause issues I figure I'll switch back. Still didn't fix the issue with connecting to the server, haha.

So that's two possibile causes ruled out. Unless I actually need data v.2 or v.4

Do I need to run the Ragite and Raglite renewal updaters in my Kro files to fix it maybe :x? Could that be the issue?

Or perhaps an issue with my lua files?

I really wish I wasn't completely new to all this and had some idea what I was doing /bzz

Edited by Stilhart

The Wiki Link I gave you is to answer "Okay, I don't fully get what I'd need to change to fix the problem if it is a result of this file. Here's it's original state".

It IS recommended for you to enable read data folder first (for easy customizing). but when you have distributed the client files, then you need to diff another client with "read data folder first" disabled.

Since you're using 2013 kRO, you don't need to run the raglite.

the english data folder v1 v2 v3 v4 or others is a nice way to get things done. But, you need to see the compatibility of those folders

Okay, just forget the last sentence.

there's a lua problem from the error message you get. get a new one from here (2011-03-15): (svn checkout)

http://svn6.assembla.com/svn/ClientSide/Lua_Project/lua%20files/

or simply use the lua files inside data folder v3.

Another question, when you try to connect your client to the server, does the login server (log-serv_sql.exe) gives any information about the login?

• Upvote 1

The Wiki Link I gave you is to answer "Okay, I don't fully get what I'd need to change to fix the problem if it is a result of this file. Here's it's original state".

It IS recommended for you to enable read data folder first (for easy customizing). but when you have distributed the client files, then you need to diff another client with "read data folder first" disabled.

Since you're using 2013 kRO, you don't need to run the raglite.

the english data folder v1 v2 v3 v4 or others is a nice way to get things done. But, you need to see the compatibility of those folders

Okay, just forget the last sentence.

there's a lua problem from the error message you get. get a new one from here (2011-03-15): (svn checkout)

http://svn6.assembla.com/svn/ClientSide/Lua_Project/lua%20files/

or simply use the lua files inside data folder v3.

Another question, when you try to connect your client to the server, does the login server (log-serv_sql.exe) gives any information about the login?

When I use data V1 it doesn't show the "buf" error so I just jumped back to that. That link you gave me is wherewhere I got my lua files originally :3 I don't remember where I got my .lub files though.

I ran a search through my C drive but got no results for the log-serv_sql.exe. Is it a program that needs to be downloaded seperate from MySQL?

I'd also like to take a second to really say thanks for continuing to help me xD, I keep drifting off at work remembering killing yoyo's and orcs in the forest. I miss playing RO and I really can't wait to have my own modifiable client! So thank you ver very much for all this help :>

By the way. the guide I used had me Download XAMPP but never had me use it. Would that be something useful to helping solve this problem?

Plus here is the guide I used [i completed both of the videos]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LTOOEjRtUo PART 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtDRZki3Hpo PART 2

Edited by Stilhart

I ran a search through my C drive but got no results for the log-serv_sql.exe.

*facepalm*

erhem.. well, sorry about the file name being typed wrong. it should be login-server_sql.exe and I am referring you to see the running login-server, not starting a new one.

okay, just use the lua files from that folder v1 (seems like you don't want to do a checkout, well, typical creators) and you maybe can have other files from data v4 (not the luas)

The videos may be outdated. keep that in mind.

• Upvote 1

UPDATE:

I clicked the "Start" button for the mysql option in XAMPP and it gave me an odd mesage, plus I tried to get some info that'd be close to what you were looking for [if the client attempt to access the server was even registering. So here are some screen caps I took.

screenshot2.png

Aaaaand

screenshot1.png

After running the XAMPP on admin a green check mark was in the tick box. Unfortunately it had the same error comments, not that I even know what this program does :D

I found the right file [login-server_sql] but when I open it the window closes immediately. That's clearly a good sign, right? Right, of course it is, haha.

I opened runserver-sql.bat which I assume contained the program, though its title was logserve-sql.bat [which is ironically close to the abbreviated name you gave originally xD]

I'll try connecting with this file open and see what happens :D

OKAY!

I got it :3

Apparently the game will only be able to access the server if I run the  "runsererver-sql.bat" file. This seems a bit wierd to me though since should the whole point of mysqml be that it hosts the server and doesn't need to open these files?

Either way I AM SO HAPPY!

Is there anything I can do to help repay you for all your help :>?

1. Running XAMPP Control Panel requires you to run it as and administrator.

2. The screenshots provided:

- Screenshot 2.png (sorry) is not useful, since it is just a configuration of the MySQL server (which if you do not change (keep it default) then there is no problem with it)

- Both screenshots: resolution is too small that it's difficult to read them. post them on some image hosting first, like imgur.com / tinypic.com / photobucket.com, then attach it by clicking on "Image" button on the reply box.

Then, problem solved?

If yes, please do a favor: mark the answer or edit the first post, click on the "Use Full Editor" and change the "none" into "solved"

Glad I could be a help.

wait. what? MySQL just provide a database information, which of course, do not mean that it provides services for ragnarok online clients. you INDEED need to run the runserver-sql.bat in order to utilize the MySQL databases.

primitive overview:

A guy (Ragnarok Client) asks a clerk (Ragnarok Server) to read and update his information stored on the archive (database) of an institute (Game Database)

(waaaatt??)

• Upvote 1

Done.

that makes sense.

aaand I've also edited the level cap, drop rate, and exp rate in the game without messing it up :D

Yaaaay

Now I have to try to enable /warp commands, wish me luck >:3

Well~ Good luck!

• Upvote 1