External Chat - Anyone?

Erazer

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54

Hello,

A few days ago I sent someone an application and while I was answering some questions, a big thing came into my head but I don't know if its gonna be worth my time soooo I wanna know some of your opinions.

The idea is to develop an app (mobile/desktop) which enables you, as the end user, to log in to it using X or Y server as the auth method and chat with your friends (the ones you got in your list) while you are not online (you know what I mean). Idk, I mean, we are in the "i wanna chat all the time"-era and this aint a bad idea, but I don't wanna dive into it without having some public interested.

The auth method would be totally based on the server you're trying to log in to. So the app won't handle any data and if anything, it will obscure it. Imagine a Messenger but with RO and unlimited amount of servers you could join to chat with people you know. Not only that but we could actually make a whole chat-world using Ragnarok as a world-wide community.

For example and to expand my idea a bit further:

- The main goal for now is to make an app in which you can use your credentials to log in and chat with friends of the server you're logging in. Of course to enjoy this, X or Y server would have to be affiliated to the App. This might be selective but it would empower the usage of X or Y server and not only that, its an awesome feature that a lot of people would enjoy.

- The second step would to use the chat system to actually be a "chat system". Using your smartphone, you could just go in and say Hi to everyone who's online just as if you were "online".

- Mang the amount of possibilities (not only chat-wise but a ton load of stuff) that could be done is huge! but for now, I would like to have some feedback on this.

I'd be happy to read anyone's feedback D:

Edited by Erazer
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  74

Its a good idea, I would use this, and I know many others who would also.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  318

It can be similar to how Steam is :P (Well, it reminds me of the Steam friend chat system haha).

It sounds like a very interesting idea, and if it's made possible, it will be a wonderful alternative for players as a means of communication (if players do not want to provide personal addresses, Skype, Facebook, etc to other players until they know each other better)~

• Topic Count:  81
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1654

Have you tried the IRC system?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  318

I guess this is more specific as you can talk to the people on your friend list and not everyone who joins the server's IRC in comparison~ Also, he's suggesting to have it as a cell phone app as well.

It'll be interesting to have the program show all online friends from various servers (submit the same account information of this program for each game server account, like putting a registered code or something along that line), but that seems quite complicated to do XD.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1654

Good luck then..   /bo

Have you tried the IRC system?

Well, who doesnt and we still use different ways to communicate with people (Skype, Facebook, IM, Forums, SMS, WhatsApp, etc...) so your comment is as redundant as the amount of ways people use to communciate with each other.

Even tho the basic idea is to allow the end user to chat with someone through her/his smartphone or desktop/laptop, without having to load the whole ragnarok client, a lot of additions could be done like, allowing you to trade, check your inventory, sell, etc... thats why I said, the amount of possibilities that could be done is enormous and just because I'm pointing out the basic feature of chatting, doesnt means thats gonna be only that (well it will, in the first steps).

Edited by Erazer
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  161

I've thought about this very same thing.

My thought was connecting the server to an IRC channel (as IRC is generally available on smartphones), albeit, unless it's a private IRC network authenticating off your user table in your database.. that's where it becomes completely unpractical.

I'd love a lightweight method for connecting to my server for chat (moderation/admin purposes) without having to load up the client, as I rarely physically need to be present to handle issues.

Reminds me of WoW's mobile app, how you can check your auctions, chat with other online-players (and I believe guild members), and view your character, etc.

To make it to where it could connect to any server, rAthena would have to know how to handle the connection from the application.

(Think clients, incorrect client packet = no connection, many servers run different versions of clients)

I imagine some server owners would want the ability to disable connections from this application, as well.

(Even if you set this up to be bound specifically to your server, rAthena would still need to handle the connection to the server.)

Scenario: I'm a spammer. Instead of having to go through the trouble of downloading your client and connect to your server to advertise my server, I can simply log in through my application, blast your users until someone gets around to banning me.

Then, depending on how they ban me, I can probably easily get back on and keep on spamming.

I personally would want to restrict access to players that have either been registered for a certain duration, or, better still, have reached a certain level, say, level 10.

(My solution to date was to install the TaigaChat module into my XenForo forum. It allows people to chat (without being in the game), though they do have to be logged in to the forum to chat in the chatbox. Since the forum has a responsive/mobile theme, it's fairly accessible on mobile devices.
The forum uses a different login/user table than the game/client. I had briefly considered sharing the login/user tables and syncing the chat to the server, but decided it just wasn't worth the hassle.)

It'd be great if this application could account for the level of the user logging in, so I could have some quick buttons (maybe even a configurable setup) to allow for faster moderation.

Sorry my post is kind of long and scattered, kept thinking of things as I was typing.

Erazer, is this something that you specifically would be working on?

If you decide to dive into it, would you be setting up a GIT/repository for it so people could assist with it?

What platforms would you be considering, for android, iOS, or both?

I'm interested in this to the extent that I'm more than willing to help anywhere possible. ;)

I'm in college now for Mobile Applications Development, I've been slowly building up ideas for a mobile application for my server,

albeit I'm still starting out in a few areas, so it was going to be a "maybe one day, perhaps, kind of" projects.
(Particularly, I'm interested in eventually making a stable client available for iOS and Android.)

Edited by Talaysen

Hello,

Quite an interesting post you did there and great feedback.

You mentioned one key point: Spammers. Which is a great deal, I mean, who wouldn't want to just get online and promote another server? You don't have to download any client-related stuff, quite an easy task. But as I get more feedback and eventually start to make this live, Every key point would be taken into consideration.

Like I mentioned, the servers who want to have this app, would require an auth patch between the app/server and of course, the server would have to patch some stuff for the communication to work out. I guess I could add anti-whatever when they apply the patch. 

I mean, this is just the eaaaaaaaaaarly stage of the app and its one of the key aspects of developing one, getting feedback. 

So to answer your questions:

- Yeah I wanna work on this, but before I do so, you gotta plan things.

- No. I want to have this to be closed source and if anyone is planning on developing extra features, would have to get access. I mean, don't get me wrong, OpenSource is great but things are done better when its private. This means that I plan to either sell licenses to use this app (since its gonna be server-based) or idk, something will come up. I'd have to really get convinced that opensource is the way to go, to actually pick it, but as of now, Closed source it is.

- Android at first, but once an android version is developed, porting it to iOS wouldnt be an issue. If I get enough people to support this, we could've 2 teams developing each section.

- You're welcome to send me a PM and we can keep exchanging ideas. 

Greetings,

Erazer

Edited by Erazer

• Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  562

What about something like a "custom client" which only handles the friend lists, private chats and the friend options ?