Airplanes and Desktops

mofo

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69

Does anyone have any experience when it comes to bringing desktop computers abroad? I mean, do you have to disassemble it or can you take it onboard as it is? Trying to save money so I'm looking at fedex as a last resort. I'm thinking about dismantling all components, wrap em in bubble wrap and just put most of it in my backpack. lol

• Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  185

seriously, my experiences w/ planes and luggage was awful... my recommendation is disassemble everything, protect every piece w/ something and place it comfortably in your stuff. if you have the boxes better but boxes take space.

even if inside the plane nothing will move since they have safe places for the bags, still the transport between the terminal and the plane is just sad.

they throw your stuff like they are playing w/ a beach ball and heavy bags is like it have a "throw me"  invitation.

the companies have insurance but they never pay full value and to get paid can be really annoying.

other ppl may have better experiences but mine but i really dont recommend to carry anything fragile as a desktop to a plane.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  12

My Dad has experienced that kind of situation.

Dismantle everything and Just ready your luggage charges which may cost (25$ Or More).

• Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188

DE-assemble everything , do take care of monitor , if its led or lcd cover it with thermocol or some protective material , IF not , throw your CRT away and buy a led later on :P. rams, hdd and motherboard must be packed in a still piece , i mean they must not move here and there in the package or it may break the solderings. rest you can buy up der :P

• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69

Thanks for the inputs. I won't be bringing the monitor so that won't be an issue. I'm still not sure what route to take but if worse comes to worst, I'll just have to fedex it. lol

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2223

I haven't had to transport a desktop computer with me before.. but if I did, in addition to what the others are suggesting, I would pack the hard drive with me in my carry-on. Then, at least I know that piece won't be getting tossed around!