recommendations for a Ragnarok host?

Automatix

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10

I have been working on a server for almost 6 months now, and I am to the point where I am about to purchase some hosting for the server. I was reaching out to the community here to ask for some help on hosting.

Should I stick to a dedicated host? Or would VPS hosting be enough? I expect around 200 players online average, with more on during concentrated hours like WoE.

Any recommendations of a specific hosting site?

Any hosts I should stay away from?

Recommended Specs of a host for lowest lag worldwide?

Recommended hosting location?

EDIT: Price isn't a huge issue here, I just don't want to be buying a super powerful machine and only use a fraction of its power when I could have spent less for the same results. Don't want to be throwing money away.

Edited by Automatix

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  103

if you are on a tight budget Asura has VPS's for cheap I wouldn;t run anything under the 10$ one though.

Other then that the absolute best hosting bar none, I have used this company for YEARS is 1and1.com. The VPS servers are priced perfectly, and have great specs, the lowest is 29 bucks monthy with 2GB ram(burstable only 512 dedicated, but you DO get the whole 2GB) 20GB drive space but only 1TB monthly transfer.

Their dedicated boxes start at 60 bucks monthly with 2GB ram and 250GB hdd and end at 800bucks monthly with 64GB ram 16 cores, 2 1/2 TB hdd(over kill for just rathena)

The key difference in 1and1 compared to all others is the following.

ALL hosting and server have a dedicated 1000MBiT port no extra fees and the dedicated boxes have UNMETERED(Unlimited) transfer and it truely is and it is also free and if you use an os like CentOS you get plesk Unlimited reseller for FREE, unlimited domains and you can run your own hosting. You also get a free SSL Certificate for the life of your hosting.

other then that no other service I would recommend, for either stability sake or you just dont get the bang for your buck at all

• Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  270

Here are the servers I have tried before and my feedback on them.

WebNX Dedicated Servers - Very good, but when you get DDOS attacked, your IP will be null routed for 72 hours. Essentially, one DDOS attack on your server and your server is down for 3 days.

Server Beach Dedicated Servers - Pretty good, if you do get DDOS attacked, your IP becomes null routed until the attacks stop. No 72 hour wait or anything, just becomes un-nullrouted after

JaguarPC VPS - Some lag spikes here and there, but generally it is okay.

Ubiquity VPS - I experienced lag spikes with my server here

Ubiquity Dedicated servers - What I am using now. Pretty stable, fast, generally less lag, not a bad host but not the best.

Staminus DDOS dedicated servers - Decent dedicated servers, very expensive for DDOS protection,

Asura VPS - Best support, some lag on the servers, don't offer any dedicated servers

Colocrossing dedicated servers - decent dedicated servers, crappy support

Go daddy dedicated and vps - a load of crap, never buy from them.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  707

Hi Automatix,

If you are expecting 200 users online, I would recommend using a cheap dedicated or a VPS. A very cheap and reliable provider is 'Datashack'; they provide "wholesale" prices for dedicated servers (what companies usually pay per server, if they were to buy in bulk). They provide 24/7 support, and offer a great network which is linked with bandwidth providers such as Cogent, Hurricane Electric, and KCIX; all their servers come with a 1Gbit port. The only thing about Datashack is that they will null-route your service for 24hrs if a large DDOS attack is detected. (EssenceRO uses Datashack, and usually if no players hold a grudge against you; you don't have to worry about DDOS)

For high-class VPS providers, I would suggest 'Linode'. They also have 24/7 support, and fairly decent VPS's; though everything is fair share and they will also null-route you if you get DDOS'ed, but for only a few hours until attack settles.

If you're looking for RO-orientated hosting services; I would suggest taking a look at the Paid Services section, several companies advertise there and you can do some research and see what suits you best.

if you are on a tight budget Asura has VPS's for cheap I wouldn;t run anything under the 10$ one though.

Hi Spre,

I'd disagree... our $8 RO-512 package is pretty good, it can host quite a lot of players and comes with some great specifications. You purchased our regular VPS package which differs a lot from our RO Packages; location, hard disk configuration, processor, port speed, bandwidth providers, and more...

I'm sure some of my customers would be willing to vouch for this; as particular clients have hosted up to 150 players on the RO-512 with no issues.

Asura VPS - Best support, some lag on the servers, don't offer any dedicated servers

Hi Jasc,

We know we didn't have the best track record in September due to the excessive massive DDOS attacks against one of our customers on the Master node; but our standard nodes did not suffer from any issues. (Besides the motherboard failing for US03, but was replaced within 45 minutes of the server failure; with notifications immediately sent out.)

Also, we do offer dedicated servers now; which come with standard UDP DDOS filtration, and network route optimization for Singapore/Malaysia/Philippines for less hops.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  647

As the title says guys, my budget is around 50-70$ per month.

Hi Rage,

You can try Kimsufi which is based in Paris, France; the provider which RODoc's use to use before they closed down.

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml

• 1 month later...

• Content Count:  6

I realize this is an old post but I thought I should share. You can use Amazon EC2 with a micro instance for free for the first year. It's what I'm using and everything works great.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  118

Actually AWS is the better option =) is more safe this without pointing that anyone have access to your info cause there is no third parts

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  70

Ok i had enough.

i was an ex customer of bluesky vps whose services i have terminated after his fraud.

Since then i have been looking for good hosting companies but i failed in it.

i tried Asura hosting which is amazing but i was getting a ping of 256ms so it got ruled out

i tried ideal hosting and the least ping i got was 140ms from luxemburg so i ruled it out too.

i saw Nickyzai hosting and i found it amazing but sadly they do not offer DDoS protection.

now currently i am hosted with godaddy but it lags and i can access root only from putty and 1 can seriously cannot think of adding/deleting/modifying scripts from putty and i get a messages like permission not granted if i login from normal login.

now i am hardly finding any good hosts to host on. i wanna migrate to other host as soon as i can b4 my billing cycle is complete because i would be getting a total refund from godaddy.

i am based in India so i am looking for hosts that are close to me so get minimum pings.

Please help me out guys!!!!!

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  175

where are you located?

i am based in India so i am looking for hosts that are close to me so get minimum pings.

i am located in India

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  175

maybe you can try http://buyvm.net and their San Jose is moving to Las Vegas right now. they have cheap ddos protection for only $3

http://rathena.org/board/topic/63114-buyvm-virtual-private-servers-windows-linux-ddos-protection-dedicated-mysql-free-patch-hosting-starting-at-350month/

feefty,

this is the ping i am getting

ea5zwg.jpg

• Upvote 1

any other hosting??

*bump* any 1 else?

• Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1302

vdsup.com :)

vdsup.com :)

I dont see any Contact info on the site. u have any details regarding it?

u can see the telephone number there.

or contact this person..http://rathena.org/board/user/1369-onnplay/

btw... is 1gb ram (dedicated) enough?? how many players can it support?

u can see the telephone number there.

or contact this person..http://rathena.org/board/user/1369-onnplay/

Hi mrlongshen,

This looks like an early version of what NickyZai use to be... host nearly 30 servers on 1 dedicated on 1 IP with only 4GB of RAM. I would not recommend that service, simply because of the limitations for the price you pay. You pay 150MYR which is $49USD to be limited to 3 compiles, max of 200 players, and 2 backups? That's a huge rip off...

You can go on LowEndBox, and find an Asia-based host for WAY less and is actually REPUTABLE, so he doesn't run away with your money in the middle of the night... leaving you with nothing. http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/asia/

But if you are looking for DDOS Protection, don't expect it to find it at LowEndBox.

---

1 last thing... the 140ms, that you got from iDeal Hosting is actually good. Anything below 200ms, is considered pretty good. However, I would stay away from iDeal as they are scamming people.

There's no RAID10, it's a regular 7.2kRPM drive (nothing else). There's no 1Gbit port, it's a 100mbit shared port. There's no such thing as "Cloudflare DDOS Protection", CloudFlare is simply a Content Delivery Network for WEBSITES... with extras. There's no PPS filter, they don't even have a regular firewall in front of their server.

You can contact http://www.urpad.net/ to confirm the information; as this is where they are reselling from.

huhu.. ok thx bro for the explaination..

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  148
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  299

Anyone knows a hosting company with cheap prices that have cost per month, per quarterly, per semi-annually, per annually? and of course DDOS protected servers. VPS or Dedicated. please help me find.