Applying clouds to custom maps

RagnaGaga

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  47

So I'm fully aware that clouds are hardcoded into the client. Now, I want to make a copy of say...Gonryun and obviously want clouds in there as well. I looked up "gonryun.rsw" in a hex editor and found only one entry, along with a bunch of other maps that use maps as well.

I figured it should be possible to change one of the maps in there that are not used, such as "rwc01.rsw" to the custom map I want clouds on. However, this still results in a black background. I figured maybe it was the wrong part in the client (which would be weird as there was just one entry for Gonryun), so I changed gonryun.rsw to something else and the clouds disappeared.

So is there something else that determines whether clouds should be visible or not?

6 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  209
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  892

So I'm fully aware that clouds are hardcoded into the client. Now, I want to make a copy of say...Gonryun and obviously want clouds in there as well. I looked up "gonryun.rsw" in a hex editor and found only one entry, along with a bunch of other maps that use maps as well.

I figured it should be possible to change one of the maps in there that are not used, such as "rwc01.rsw" to the custom map I want clouds on. However, this still results in a black background. I figured maybe it was the wrong part in the client (which would be weird as there was just one entry for Gonryun), so I changed gonryun.rsw to something else and the clouds disappeared.

So is there something else that determines whether clouds should be visible or not?

Download HxD Open your client using hxd then find gonryun. then replace with your mapname. that's the only you can do to add clouds

That's...exactly what I tried. Didn't work.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1654

Sorry, but hexing a client won't work that way...

It's not like editing a normal text file /hum

In a lot of cases it does work like that, yes. It's easy enough to hex out a certain button, changing the client to load other files for data.ini or clientinfo.xml, etcetera.

If the client has a list of maps that tells the client "hey, I want these maps to have clouds", then theoretically changing one of these maps to the map you want to have clouds, should work, no? As I mentioned, removing or namechanging an existing map in that list does in fact remove clouds from that map. However they do not appear on the map they are changed to.

However, if you say hexing does not work like that, mind sharing how it's done, then?

Aight, I figured out the problem.

It mainly lies with using a shorter mapname. Say the map you are replacing is que_qsch05.rsw. My custom name is called say...rpvp_1.rsw. Now what I did before was replace the que_ part by 00 in the HEX view and replace qsch05 by rpvp_1. However, what I should have done was start typing at the start of the mapname and replace the remaining characters after that by 00 in the HEX view.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1479

solved? add a [solved] in front of your thread's title and put a "solved" inside the tag box.