Warning letter from Gravity

bimbi

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10

I fully agree with Vince. I never had received such warning on facebook, may be because my server was closed before they start sending them, but some friends of mine received this warning.

Vince says it all.

Edited by Hiero

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  60

I've heard of some US instances of this several years back. My question is, if it has no legal value but the person is 'working' for gravity where does that leave us? Toss it or Close?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  27

It's up to you, maybe they'll send another pooch to warn you, or they'll contact your host to get your address/name and send you a real mise en demeure... Nobody really tried to ignore 'em in 2007, except one Belgian guy (the one that developped the triad patcher) and they sent him a mise en demeure (a formal letter).

Concerning the instances in the past, yup, I can't remember the date but some private servers running on Aegis went into troubles with Gravity Us :). You might find some posts relative to these facts on the aegis support board (dunno if it's still up).

Edited by Vince

• Content Count:  4

There hasn't been a single server shut down as a result of legal action taken by Gravity, it makes no sense that they start after like 8 years.

Complete BS threats.

• Content Count:  27

@Soulman : Gravity has already "officialy" threatened many french private servers, even before they started to think about creating an official french server.

Dunno if he's still around here, but MagicalTux (developer of Yare, Freya, and Nezumi emulators) is the best guy to talk 'bout that.

I started playing RO in 2003, on a french pserv running on Aegis. It closed because of Gravity (a real threat, not a fake or a fucking joke written by a kid).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  64

I stopped reading after "Sirs,".

Can't stop laughing lol "Sirs"

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  355

Lol i work on really big spanish servers and not even one warning for me xDDDDDDDD

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  53

672.png
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

• Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  328

672.png

I lol'd /heh

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  161

For sending a letter they need your name, adress etc... and it's hard to get this information without a bailiff.

I prefer to warn you because i know administrator of ragnarok are young like me and going in a jail because of a game is ridiculous.

And yuki i met them in their office, i dont have to paid because i closed immediately my server and this is just a warn ,it's your life after all so it's not my problem.

Hm. I don't live in France. I live in USA.

Our govt. only cares about copyright infringement when it's someone else infringing on our rights. When it's the other way around, they turn a blind eye to it. (IE: Champagne, Kobe Beef, etc).

For sending a letter they need your name, adress etc... and it's hard to get this information without a bailiff.

I

prefer to warn you because i know administrator of ragnarok are young

like me and going in a jail because of a game is ridiculous.

And

yuki i met them in their office, i dont have to paid because i closed

immediately my server and this is just a warn ,it's your life after all

so it's not my problem.

If you're young, the appropriate response to something like this is to take some really inappropriate naked pictures and e-mail them over to them, with a nice long paragraph about "here's the pictures you asked for, you'll let me keep my server up now, won't you"? Then report them to your local authorities. ;)

I'm going to have to call 'bullshit' on the original letter. That letter isn't nearly pretentious enough to have been written by a lawyer, let alone a French lawyer. Though, if you're legitimately concerned about it, I have some waterfront property in Arizona that I'd like to sell you at a very reasonable price.

I'm also great friends with Prince Mujibar of Uruguay, he's fallen very ill and hates his greedy children, he wants to give away his vast fortune of 18.000 khoums to a worthy individual.

He personally gave me your e-mail address and asked me to contact you. All we need to make this good-will transfer happen is your full name, date of birth, address, social security number, blood type, semen count, hair color, eye color, and first born child.

Though, it's an ingenious way to try and get private servers (mostly run by younger kids who can generally be intimidated by threats) to shut down. Interesting way to eliminate competition for your server.

You know, on second though, take everything I've said back. That letter is completely legitimate. How could it not be legitimate, he addressed you as 'Sirs', that's quite an honour. You must shut down immediately to avoid potential ligal acteion from esteemed lawyars.