Remote database: decrease performance?

LithiumFire

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28

I'm planning to host a rAthena server but I want it to use a database remotely hosted in a web hosting service. I know this is possible but...

I was wondering, would this cause a performance decrease on my server? If so, how much?

Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  513

that would depend on the bandwidth that your provider offers, the load that your server will process(ie # of users, etc.)

if,say, worse comes to worst, intermittent connection form server to db would definitely affect your server's performance greatly since,if im not mistaken

sqlDB's work with TCP connection. another thing is that, if your database and server reside far away from each other(as in far far away) delays in queries and writes on your database will also affect your server's performance.

just my 2 cents :)

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3123

It'll cause massive performance issues if you use a webhost - i assume you mean buy webhosting space and then use one of your included MySQL databases for your rAthena server? I strongly advise against it. However, if you mean have it hosted on a separate server i.e a VPS, then there's not much performance to be lost.

I used to host eA servers a few years ago and i could comfortably have 40 servers' databases hosted on one machine. The performance loss is minuscule. As long as you're not hosting your database via a service like cPanel for your webhosting or anything, you'll be fine for remote databases.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  28

Get it, change of plans then. I'll host the database in the same asurahosting VPS, but I'm going to use a webhosting service for the website and Control Panel.

Any good webhosting service (with no issues connecting to a remote database) you can recommend me? I've had problems with hosting services that don't allow connections to remote databases and I need this for the control panel obviously.

Thanks in advance.

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3123

If your VPS is with Asura, i'd recommend using their webhosting (assuming they offer web hosting?). Asura is designed for hosting RO servers.

On a side note: connecting from your website to your ro database will only be hindered if you've not got correct permissions set on your database itself - it'd have nothing to do with where it is. I.E your user would need to able to connect from your website IP. Hope that helps :)

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  27

if you are pulling user info and char info on a CP from a remote database that will be fine, you have to set the permission for the host to access the database. not much impact/performance degrade :)