[Done!] Animated 3D Monsters in RO

DoSS

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

The project is not dead, I'm sorry. I haven't been able to work on it much, and, quite honestly, I had almost forgot about it.

The converter is working (at least I hope), but it can just convert one file at a time, and it is still full of memory leaks. I will need just a week or so to tweak it and maybe make a graphical interface for it.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to donate for my work:

btn_donateCC_LG.gif

I've put a lot of effort into this converter, and I will offer it free of charge. Any donation is greatly appreciated.

Sent you a small incentive. I'm willing to donate more if you show us some updates about.

Thanks for your time.

• 4 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109

Not sure if its possible to actually add more .gr2 monsters without replacing the existing ones I know atleast that with xray it would be possible but meruru didn't see much in a point in continuing his project after kro decided to do its lua table system.

Several years later his project would be useful now! n__ñ

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  135

What's going on with this project? Sorry to bring up a 1 month old topic....but I'd like to see this get finished still.

Oh boy, we are in the same case.

About ricky92 , all I can say that he is not from the RO community, so... It is kinda hard to keep in contact with him. You don't know how hard was to us to find who was that guy who was able to create a granny converter.... DAMN ... just to even think about how hard it is to get the compilers... I'm losting my mind!

I tried to contact him trough skype past yesterday, but still no answers.

I don't think this is like "dead". I would say that we "lost" Ricky92 again :< The granny converter was, ... ready? Yeah it was. He was going to add more graphical stuff and some extra things... but then he is gone.

To say the least: Lemara (now known as DoSS) was going to donate a high amount XD, I'm not sure if he did. In my case I did a small donation, but seems that nothing was enough to bring his attention back.

So who knows. I will continue trying to contact him. Perhaps, he just forget about it (once again :P) or ... perhaps, he has real life issues just as before. . So... all I can do is look for him in the Elitepvpers community, he is a demanded contributor on there, so, I will have a better idea about if he is still alive!

I understand giving a donation to someone who is helping...but I think someone sent him enough money to go on vacation for the past month.

• Upvote 1

? I don't understand what you mean.

Please try to keep on the thread. As I said, he is not from this RO community. He probably doesn't have the -time- (and I have to say... interest) contrary as all contributors here does.

Back on the thread, I looked at him at elitepvpers community (http://www.elitepvpers.com) and seems he has been active. So, I really hope he will read my message and probably he will show up :P

Afterall, that is how it was the past time he was gone due to real life issues, I believe.

• Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  974

I mean I read 99% of this post and it seemed he only had a little bit of work left.... Alot of people are willing to put money into the donation for the completion of this project. Hope he does come back.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  22

Sorry for having left you waiting for so long. I have had (and I'm still having) a few issues with university, it's taking most of my free time away and I can't do much about it. I haven't been able to develop the GUI version yet, but I am releasing the commandline version now. It should be considered a beta product, since it really doesn't do much apart from the conversion routine. Not many checks or anything, so it might just randomly crash without giving any helpful information.

Just don't use Bink1 textures and it should work fine. Please, if you encounter any error, include the gr2 file you were trying to convert in your post (or PM it to me).

Download link: http://www.ricky92.c..._21_ricky92.rar

Password is "www.ricky92.com"

As a side note, I just wanted to say that nobody donated except for Olrox (whom I thank for this), so you don't have to worry about me going on vacation or things like that. I'm not doing this for money, or I wouldn't have released it for free, don't you think?

Edited by ricky92
  • Upvote 5

You were really nice to take some hours of your time and send this beta converter the same day we talked. Lemara (DoSS)is testing now. And he will reply back about it.

Ricky92 thank you man. I don't have the words to be enough thankfull. This is, the first time of several years that we have a possibiliy with gr2.

Please everyone, you are invited to join and do your own testings now with this beta released.

Edit: We have a gr2 ready converted, and works pretty well! DoSS will post in a sec :P

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1245

Thank you Ricky. I myself really appreciate what you've done and the possibilities this opens up. If possible, can you provide a quick 1 to 3 lines of how to use your software on a command line basis

Well, it's quite easy, actually. Just drag and drop a 2.6 gr2 file on the .exe, and it will convert it (naming the new file originalname_converted.gr2). Or, otherwise, you could call the tool from the commandline specifying the input file and the output file as the two arguments.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1245

Haha. Awesome thanks. =)

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  592

I vote ricky will be titted as rathena contributor..

Thanks this

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  318

hehe i tried the Desertfox.gr2 but i dont get it too work . my exe keeps crashign after summing it

this tool is pretty nice Thanks alot

Edited by ossi0110

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  133

ricky92, do you have the GR2 all worked out? Would you mind posting a format specification?

Okay, a new version is out, as there was a serious bug which could cause the program to crash randomly with no specific reason, since it was addressing a deleted memory block.

New download, same link: Download Here

Password is still "www.ricky92.com".

Changes in this version:

• Fixed addressing of deleted memory block, causing random crashes or strange exporter name in the output GR2
  • Added check for Bink1 texture format, which is unsupported in Granny 2.1.0.5. If any textures of that kind are found, the program will print a warning message.

Known bugs:

• Automatic conversion of GR2 files which have a Runtime Type Tag different from 0x80000015 will fail. It should not be the case, as the granny engine should be able to work out the conversion automatically, or at least give a non-working (yet valid) gr2 file as an output. I'll try to investigate further when I have time (which probably means in a few months, lol)

I don't have the gr2 format completely sorted out, as I still rely on the original DLLs to load the file in memory and write the converted output. I have planned to create a standalone, cross-platform library to do this, so that the converter could work even on Linux or Mac OS X. It's just a plan and I will not be able to work it out in the near future, though, as I don't have that much free time at all.

Edited by ricky92
  • Upvote 5

This is ... awesome!

We were encountering with some crashes with the previous converter as you stated. Now, it works as a charm =P

Example of Ragnarok 2 monster exported with Granny 2.6.0.10, now transformed into 2.1.0.5, a mandragora:

mandragora.png

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  802

some1 go create dat red dragon nao! xD

Very good job, I really appreciate the effort that has been put in there :).

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  313

wow!! great job is interesting *0* should look good in game :)

I'm working on the Bink1 to Bink0 conversion routine now for the next update. If the last version published gave any error, please let me know, so I can fix it and release a "final" version. Also, if you have any feature request/suggestion, let me know.

• Upvote 4

Thank you a lot. For now I'm just importing the gr2 models with the granny plugin , using the texture maps at bink 0 with alpha present in 3DS Max.

Some of my tests are good, some are weird (all of these inside our game, don't worry about, all the conversions I did with your converter... are all good). I bet [D]oss is better than me at the time of importing the granny models from 3ds max, due to the fact that he has more experience with granny than me. In consequence that is why his tests shows better results in game.

So I asked to him for some info about, but seems he has some exams now. He will reply back here in a day or two. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Edit:

@Ricky92

Do we have a posibility to enable multi mesh support with the granny converter?

• Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  974

Actually we have kinda a problem with multi mesh support in gr2 files

Screenshots:

-- First an Original Ragnarok gr2 monster which has multi mesh support (link to this .gr2 model here -- https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52175822/aguardian90_8.gr2)

gr21.png

-- Now our testing with a custom gr2. Which has multi mesh support.

gr22.png

-- Our issue is that in game we can only see the first mesh listed

screenCUTE-RO000.jpg

We can't figure it out why... we only know that Ragnarok default gr2 models has multi mesh support. Perhaps this is a feature or something that has to do with the conversion routine?