Mapping & Releasing legal?

GM Zimtkeks

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137

Hello all,

a ,,Friend" of mine told me today that he got an letter (a real one, not via E-Mail or something) from an lawyer that pretends to work for Gravity USA. In this letter the lawyer said that he has to pay 25$ per released Map and some extra $ depending on the complexity of the released map.

He got 14 Days time to pay what the lawyer charged - something around 390$ or Gravity USA is going to sue him due to copyright infringement and releasing copyright protected Maps by using Gravity's Objects.

Note: He released maps for free, as well as made some for requesting and got some cash for that.

Is this true?

Is mapping and releasing the map (for free) illegal and can it bring you into troubles?

My friend told me that he wont do anything cause he lives in Malaysia and the police and government wouldn't ,,give a shit" bout what other country say, so no risk for him that a policeman would come to arrest him or anything.

Any comments?

Edited by GM Zimtkeks

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  379

As far i know a "file structure/format" can't be copyright, just the content inside.

Since no files from Gravity are packed in his GND/GAT/RSW, just used externally (sound/models/textures) he doesn't release a Gravity work, just 3 files that contain HIS content (mesh, maps infos, etc.).

So no problem I think for your ,,Friend"" (if it was really a lawyer).

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  218

If the maps are free they cant do anything. Maps are on the Client Side. So there are Public.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  658

Jman's right,they can't arrest your friend because of that,but they can still sue your friend.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  802

It doesn't make any sense to me, tbh. Did he show you that letter?

And Gravity won't ask you for money, instead I guess they would send you a C&D letter if you would be actually selling their copyright'ed content (which you aren't).

Anyway, mapping paid services are a bit illegal usually. I'm currently testing 3ds > rsm, if I find it useful, I'll release some 3d max modeling/texturing guides and how to convert them to RO properly.

No he has not shown me the letter, we do not live in the same country.

As far as he said he was suppose to pay it via Western Money or something oO?

Kk, so it is likely a joke or scam. I am still curious though how this ,,lawyer" found out his real Adress *laughs*

It's definitely a scam, yeah. As far as I know, Gravity never contacted any mapper regarding RO maps redistribution/selling.

It's definitely a scam, yeah. As far as I know, Gravity never contacted any mapper regarding RO maps redistribution/selling.

They should!

Cause some of those mappers are faaaaar better then there own ones (Looking at Olrax)

Well, I highly doubt they would contact a mapper from here to hire him lol. BTW, I was curious about full custom 3D models and made this in a moment:

3dsrsmex.png

pluginchange.png

I noticed Borf's tool make something strange in model's map coordinates. When you convert a 3ds to rsm, you have to reload the texture from RSM editor, but it seems map coordinates are rotated vertically once you load it in RSM editor (so your texture won't be read properly). Is borf's 3ds2rsm tool open source? That thing could be fixed :P. Anyway, it seems that it works and people can start developing their own original models, so there is actually a way to sell custom maps with custom content without copyright infringement :P.

Well, I highly doubt they would contact a mapper from here to hire him lol. BTW, I was curious about full custom 3D models and made this in a moment:

3dsrsmex.png

pluginchange.png

I noticed Borf's tool make something strange in model's map coordinates. When you convert a 3ds to rsm, you have to reload the texture from RSM editor, but it seems map coordinates are rotated vertically once you load it in RSM editor (so your texture won't be read properly). Is borf's 3ds2rsm tool open source? That thing could be fixed :P. Anyway, it seems that it works and people can start developing their own original models, so there is actually a way to sell custom maps with custom content without copyright infringement :P.

Can I make babies with you please?

I wish I would be as good as you are and being able to make my own models...

• Upvote 1

I'll be free soon, my idea is to start writing some guides as soon as possible, mainly related to 3D structures design and implementation :P.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  835

if i receive this kind of letter. i will try to find some one who work in govement. and try to ask this letter are real or scam. but i think it's scam. if release free most of the ppl release free. think about alot ppl use avril lavigne photo use photo shop add they photo in or add word like welcome or hello some thing else..... why avril lavigne no sue them? XD! kinda no logic.....