Old, OLD version RO

jenkat

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4

Hello friends,

I have been reading JudasBible for preparation to set up, but I have a question:

Is it possible to set up a server for a very old version of RO?

Specifically, I am interested in "Episode 3" version, circa 2002/2003, during time of 2nd Beta. Aldebaran release is the newest.

Not at all interested in modern RO, 3rd jobs, RE, etc.

Is this possible?

What do I need to look for in SVN?

Also, will I need to find a download of the same (old) RO client? Or is it possible to use current client files for this?

Thank you for any advice.

7 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  16

:D, Dunno why you would want that, but I believe you just need to find the old SVN which has that version of RO. I don't think the emulator creators had even started making it during that time though so I really doubt that there is a version of the SVN that old. You can always just find a more recent SVN and then not go to those areas or remove the npcs that give the trans and etc. later.

I am thinking that's what I'll have to do; manually cut out the parts of the world I don't want.

It's true that the current emulator projects were not in operation at that time, but there have been private servers since before the game even went pay-to-play.

Often, they were running the original Aegis server software, but reverse-engineered emulation was happening by 2003, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, the reason I want the old version is because I have absolutely zero interest in every new skill, adjustment, map, mob, or hat which was released after I stopped playing.

The problem with editing the hell out of a contemporary version is not simply removing NPCs and maps to make the world functionally smaller, but re-scripting a ton of other things which have changed, and replacing current maps with old ones, etc.

I guess I just need to get into the repository and see how far back this trunk goes....

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  16

I am thinking that's what I'll have to do; manually cut out the parts of the world I don't want.

It's true that the current emulator projects were not in operation at that time, but there have been private servers since before the game even went pay-to-play.

Often, they were running the original Aegis server software, but reverse-engineered emulation was happening by 2003, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, the reason I want the old version is because I have absolutely zero interest in every new skill, adjustment, map, mob, or hat which was released after I stopped playing.

The problem with editing the hell out of a contemporary version is not simply removing NPCs and maps to make the world functionally smaller, but re-scripting a ton of other things which have changed, and replacing current maps with old ones, etc.

I guess I just need to get into the repository and see how far back this trunk goes....

That would seem to be your best bet for now :[

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  23

eAthena RC5 was from early 2005, you can get a copy from BowieBowie's eAthena mirror site here: http://svn.games-service.net/eAthena-SQL-RC5.rar'>http://svn.games-service.net/eAthena-SQL-RC5.rar

If you prefer the PR1, which is from end of 2005 (guessing basically the same with a little more bugs worked out and such? *shrug* you can get that here: http://svn.games-service.net/eAthena-SQL-PR1.0.rar'>http://svn.games-service.net/eAthena-SQL-PR1.0.rar

The eAthena mirror in general: http://svn.games-service.net/

There are some old clients and such on there too. As for actual RO installers, googling some old dates / maybe torrents / something may turn up?

That's probably the closest thing I can think of to what you're asking, hope it's of some help?

Thank you, Lige. This is very helpful. 2005 would be acceptable. I still need to try to hit up some old friends who just might have some very old files.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  392

Do not use old source because of security/reliability issues. I strongly recommend adapting recent core to your needs (maybe rA before RE was added, or eA, so around ~r15000). Of course secuirty is not an issue on a non-public server.

You could however use old scripts, spawns and item/mob databases, after some adjustments.

Security won't be an issue. Expected max population might be about 20 people, all old friends and family.

The purpose of the server is more like a graphical IRC environment, where we can simply play around and re-live our old memories.