Custom Ragnarok Online Client

Shinryo

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17

That's an awesome project!

Your project is the only thing that keeps me in Ragnarok. I had some RO servers with custom jobs, but as Xray got too outdated, I had to shut them down.

With all the customizations you mentioned, I see a chance of coming back finally =).

So the best luck and I am here if you need help!

• Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  355

If this have the new fuctions of RO i wl love it *-* and.. WeeClient sounds great :DD

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  806

its Alive!!! its Alive!!! :-D. Great to hear from you Shin and nice updates /slur. as for the name WeeClient sounds nice. or maybe WeeGC?

I stand corrected!! no activity for 20 days /sob

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  4

Hey Shin, are you by any chance still working on this project?

If you could give me a PM anytime you have any spare time I'd appreciate it very much! I have some questions I'd like to ask =]

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  106

Hey Shin, are you by any chance still working on this project?

If you could give me a PM anytime you have any spare time I'd appreciate it very much! I have some questions I'd like to ask =]

Just because he's not posting on the forums, it does not mean he's not working on it anymore, especially he already wrote in his last post here, that the project is not dead at all and he's just a bit busy with personal stuff.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  4

@Toshiro you are indeed correct! which is why I actually posted on this thread in the first place =]. I fully understand that real life issues take precedence which is the way it should be, but I apologize if I offended you in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  206

I think Shinryo is working :o

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  13

Alot of projects are riding on this project. Any news? Also what server versions will it be able to connect to?

• 5 weeks later...

• Content Count:  135

Wow the client looks 500x better then the current one we use now, but how's this coming along? Seems to have been awhile since anyone has posted into this post. I'd love to see this get finished.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  61

any updates?

• 4 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2

ITT: we all got trolled >:)

Edited by Itako

I guess shinryo droped the project after all because he got no time anymore now since he has to work a lot in rl.

Lets hope not :( . I hope he atleast releases the source like his original plan in case he is dropping further development.

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  6

Still ongoing. Abandoning this project in its current state would be a crime to myself. I was just very busy in the last few months with my new job and playing Tera Online, lol. However, I have stopped playing MMORPGs in general and like to spend my free time with the development of the client to improve my virtual reality knowledge.

For scriptable effects(and all other things) you could use the V8 engine.

@edit
WeeClient is good i think :3

I have reviewed some scripting engines like LUA, AngleScript, Python, etc. As far as I remember, V8 is the rendering engine behind Chromium? Might take a look at it.

+1 to WeeClient. Is it easy to change the login/character/in-game skins/windows/menus/etc? I'd like to try making some new templates if so =]

I've spent the last few days to also review some GUIs which would not be a performance bottleneck. CEGUI is indeed easy to use through it's XML structure, but it also introduces some limitations for transitions or animations. Awesomium (used in Fimbulwinter Client) and Berkelium allow to render Chromium inside an offscreen buffer and therefore allow to create animations and transitions based on CSS3 and HTML5. But the performance of blitting the rendered offscreen back to a texture might slow down the client too much, especially in high resolutions (like 1920x1080). Another approach would be to use QML with Qt5 for GUI rendering which includes animations and transitions. It renders directly to a framebuffer object and is therefore pretty fast. But this works only with OpenGL.

With that being said do you plan on increasing the client limits for models like the max amount of polygons the client can render and such since ragnarok had pretty low limits since they never updated any of that. It would be nice to be able to use models with more vertical textures and polygons so i didn't have to nerf every model i make rsm wise.

I don't plan to insert such limits. Quite the opposite, I plan to add further 3D file formats to not only support Granny3D objects.

I think Shinryo is working :o

Yep.

Alot of projects are riding on this project. Any news? Also what server versions will it be able to connect to?

I have yet to decide from what version upward.

ITT: we all got trolled > :)

Nope.

-------------------

Some notes:

As already mentioned, I have not yet decided which scripting engine to use. I also struggle whetever I shall drop DirectX support and continue GUI development with Qt 5 and QML, based on OpenGL and Ogre3D. It seems like Qt 5 has also support for V8. On the other side, I cannot depend on V8 from Qt, since the current codebase is split into core, rendering, networking, scripting, etc. So the scripting part will be gone if someone decides to replace the Ogre3D and Qt 5 rendering with a custom rendering engine. Mhm...

My best bet would probably be:

- Rendering: Ogre3D, OpenGL only, Qt 5 and QML

- Scripting: AngleScript

- Networking: Boost.Asio

Oh, and as a side note: I have forked the core module into an editor module yesterday, which uses the same rendering and scripting modules. The main purpose is to allow easier debugging of visual artifacts. It might become a full fledged map editor though.  :lol:

Edited by Shinryo
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1335

I think people should understand, that this is the work of only 1 guy. I just read his lines, and, I'm spechless of the amount of work....

Some notes:

Oh, and as a side note: I have forked the core module into an editor module yesterday, which uses the same rendering and scripting modules. The main purpose is to allow easier debugging of visual artifacts. It might become a full fledged map editor though:lol:

Oh, that was really unexpected, and I can only smileee by reading that. *¬*

I don't have the words to express how amazed I'm with this project. I'm astonished by just reading all that detailed info about the improvements about Graphics you are planing.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1245

Another map editor. :o Borf has competition now. Ohhh Snap! You mentioned that the client would be able to read other model files. Looks like additional plugins are needed in BrowEdit to spawn & place these different models onto the map (currently restricted to RSM).

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  379

V8 is the javascript engine. The rendering engine is webkit (i advise you to not use webkit, it has some boring bug I have problems with on robrowser).

Keep it up :-)

What kind of a bug is it? Maybe it got fixed in recent webkit versions. Qt 5 also allows to embedd a webview based on webkit, which basically would give the same benefits as Awesomium or Berkelium.

cool its back in action. /no1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  379

What kind of a bug is it? Maybe it got fixed in recent webkit versions. Qt 5 also allows to embedd a webview based on webkit, which basically would give the same benefits as Awesomium or Berkelium.

There are two borings bugs :
  • Can't display some BMP files, but after comparing with safari, it's seems it's maybe a chrome bug nor webkit (can't test on a recent version of safari).
  • And another one with the native scrollbar : it can triggered mousedown but not mouseup, click, etc. So if you do a draggable UI and you click on a scrollbar on this UI, it will start following your mouse but there is no way after to detect a mousedown to stop the the UI to follow you.
But this bugs really depend of what you do with the rendering engine. Maybe you will not load BMP files for the UI, and maybe you will not manage the draggable UI using webkit :)

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  11

He should tar busy but certainly not bankrupt.

• 4 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  41

Awesome project ! I hope it'll be completed someday ~

Just a suggestion, put a setting to disable posterization.

and i hope that "someday" is soon :D

• 1 month later...

• Content Count:  399

Dead? :(

Nope. Still ongoing. Made some heavy cleanups and will release some binary prototypes soon.

• Upvote 4

Oo its alive!!! its alive !!!