Requesting thoughts on Patcher design

Wolfeh

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  119

Most recent version:

patcherv42.png

The buttons were the hardest part for me. I finally decided to edit the hell out of them and this is the result. Wanted to make sure it looked good before implementing it, so I want to see what others think.

Edited by Wolfeh

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1315

I see you tried to create a rounded edge using the pink transparency however I don't think that works with patchers.

Minimize/Maximize buttons are not the same size. Should be made smaller unless you intended for it to be this way.

Not even gonna sugar coat this but the font is HORRIBLE. Maybe it's just me but it looks tacky, appears like it's falling apart, and poorly made.

Well, it kinda did but you can still see some pink pixels. I guess I'll try a png background and see if it works, I didn't know you could do that but at the same time it seems possible since png buttons are now supported.

I had that issue too, thinking it didn't look right. They both have the same font size, but maybe I'll try making the X smaller.

Lol, its this font. Since the name of the server is Absinthe RO, I wanted a font that was either art nouveau (which was popular in absinthe posters and the first famous piece of artwork with absinthe in it was art nouveau) or something related to alcoholic drinks. Absinthe is also said to have "psychedelic" affects, so I thought the jumbled look would work. I think the art nouveau fonts are even more horrible, they just don't look RO-ish, lol. I'll see if I can find anything else though. Those kinds of fonts are so hard to find ;A; Maybe I'll look at pay font sites.

So this is it now, will update with the new image when I find a good enough font and apply it.

[image removed to prevent an image heavy thread. See most recent post for most recent design.]

Edited by Wolfeh

Lol, its this font. Since the name of the server is Absinthe RO, I wanted a font that was either art nouveau (which was popular in absinthe posters and the first famous piece of artwork with absinthe in it was art nouveau) or something related to alcoholic drinks. Absinthe is also said to have "psychedelic" affects, so I thought the jumbled look would work. I think the art nouveau fonts are even more horrible, they just don't look RO-ish, lol. I'll see if I can find anything else though. Those kinds of fonts are so hard to find ;A; Maybe I'll look at pay font sites.

If that's your intention then well done, however I don't think many players would look into it that deeply and realize the artistic references. =P

Maybe look through this: http://bit.ly/xg3hqQ

Hopefully you can find a better font/design.

Okay. I found an art nouveau-like font, that has just a touch of nouveau but not enough to not be ROish, and then found another that is even less, to where its hardly noticeable, but I can still see it. Since the logo font didn't match the buttons and seemed out of place, I decided to change it. Still concerned about the nouveau font, it may be too nouveau to fit, but I'll see what others think, lol.

Version 2

Edited by Wolfeh

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  318

I sort of remember your previous version, but I believe your newest version of the patcher looks better in terms of the font. I don't think it's the best font, but it's pretty decent. It is easier to see the words as well. Maybe you can choose a fancier font for the server title and add a slogan below it (fill in the extra space above the grey box). Check and see if the words on the buttons are centred as well. Overall, the design looks simple, clean, and pleasant. Maybe change the colour of the buttons to a brighter green (by a bit) to make them stand out more.

Great job with this design! Keep it up!

So, I think what the problem was, was that I was trying to mesh cute, with the elegant and artistic nouveau, which I don't think works. At least, I couldn't make it work. So how is this? I made it more serious and I think the style fits more.

Revamped~

Thanks for the help by the way, I'm inexperienced in this field and want to make sure I do things right. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion, just as long as you give suggestions on improvement. ;3

Edited by Wolfeh

Thanks for the help by the way, I'm inexperienced in this field and want to make sure I do things right. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion, just as long as you give suggestions on improvement. ;3

Newest version definitely looks nicer compared to the other two.

You might wanna check the alignment of your text in the buttons. I think they're aren't centered.

Also, I think the stroke on your slogan is a lil bit too much. Maybe lessen it by one?

Also there's no such thing as the right way or the wrong way when it comes to art. Feel free to express whatever you want in however way you want.

Yay~ And like so? Though the centered-ness doesn't look any different, I centered it by selecting the text layer, button layer, and then Layer > Align > Horizontal Centers.

Think it's the control panel button that makes it looks weird. Maybe it's just me? Iunno. XP

Ah, you're right! I guess the align trick doesn't work. >: I tried the ruler tool as well, but that didn't produce very accurate results either. So I decided to just move it and go by eye. Result.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  318

The newest version is great! Good job with the improvements =D. Good colour theme as well ;D along with being simple.