Approval only once in ip downloads

LCDTheOG

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  222

yeah, i think we should be able to only have approval once, cuz what if u mess up your post or something goes wrong, u cant fix it unless ur a mod, this way it will make it easier on us to do updates and not have to rely on all the mods to do everything.

• Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  399

The issue with this is that people could then possibly upload malicious content after their initial submission was approved. This is done, presumably, to protect users potentially downloading content that will damage their system, or be exploitable.

As troublesome as it is, I feel it's in place to ensure file integrity as well as quality of service is not compromised.

This is a firm "No" from me, should my vote count for anything.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1195

^ Agreed. We will be holding by jTynne's stance and reasoning.

• Upvote 2

What if You guys set it up to force a screenshot of a virus scan, or even better, do u guys know how to make it scan for viruses through html, i seen some download sites do that when u upload content it scans it for viruses, if u set it up with a screen shot just tell players that the content is malicious and u highly suggest they don't download it without a screenshot

Edited by lilcooldude69

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  967

What if You guys set it up to force a screenshot of a virus scan, or even better, do u guys know how to make it scan for viruses through html, i seen some download sites do that when u upload content it scans it for viruses.

LOL LCD xD

i will still go to Moderation Queue System ( Approval System )

IPB has a Virus Scanner hook but i dont think its effective too

Cause as i know when a File is Zip or Rar ( Compressed )

sometimes Virus scan doesn't check its inside

so means = Rar/Zip = No Virus but

inside Rar/Zip = Virus = Virus Scan Didn't Recognized

• Group:  Forum Moderator
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  10013

Ya..i agree with the Approval System , since they can check whether this "Release" is useful or not before going to open public for download...

anyway, for the Zip / Rar virus scan...

most of the users didnt enabled the option for Virus Scan for Rar / Zip files in their anti virus software...( they should go enable it xD )

but for online scanning,...not sure, since i never used any online scanning ( Dont know where and how ..O.O )

Ya..i agree with the Approval System , since they can check whether this "Release" is useful or not before going to open public for download...

most of the users didnt enabled the option for Virus Scan for Rar / Zip files in their anti virus software...( they should go enable it xD )

but for online scanning,...not sure, since i never used any online scanning ( Dont know where and how ..O.O )

actually IPB has a custom hook about virus scan

i actually tested it and create a scenario

by uploading a rar/zip file inside is an exe file ( the exe file was block @ my pc and i tried to rar it )

but the hook didn't recognize it as a virus ( so its fail )

but i guess its not only with the hook

it depends to with the hosting

if the hosting has a great security

it might block the file from uploading to its host

and it will result of invalid file after successfully uploading it.

well emistry this is after its been approved, idk somone who would post something completely different than what they were doing.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  318

I guess the staff members don't want to take any chances.

There's always the question of "if this happens..." So, it is better to be safe than sorry (to avoid getting yelled by the community)!

• Upvote 1

well

i have another idea

but i dont think rA staff would like it

have another group of people that will do the approval/disapproval of a certain file uploaded

since i think all of them are really busy.

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  399

Everyone on staff has the ability to approve/deny updated files in the downloads module to the best of my knowledge. Anytime something needs approved, those of us with it enabled, get a notification whenever something new is uploaded. Since there are quite a few people on staff, I don't think there's a need for additional staff specifically for the downloads section, as there's really not all that much being uploaded right now. In the future, perhaps if there's 20+ things being uploaded/modified daily, but right now it's not that far along yet.

Ultimately though, it boils down to one of the community managers giving their thoughts on the matter. I'm personally for the way it currently is. Sorry.