rAthena - the fork

Jman

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164

Renewal mechanics should be top (read: only) priority for the main development team.

Not to be disrespectful to those who want non-renewal mechanics, but everything is Renewal now - bonus scripts, items, mobs, etc. It is much more work than anyone anticipates to keep a non-Renewal branch.

I don't think this should take the time of the main developers. Their goal should be rapid (and accurate) implementation of new Aegis features. Perhaps a 'secondary' development team can manage the non-Renewal branch (if there is to be one).

Personally, I don't think there should be a non-Renewal branch simply because it'll be out of date, there is less demand for it, and not many people will maintain it. Non-Renewal admins could simply use eAthena.

(The new logo is great, by the way. There are still some old eA icons being used in various areas.)

Edited by rayn
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  217

This should be interesting and fun! Finally moving forward =D

• Topic Count:  94
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2192

@Rayn, you'd be please to know that there is actually a demand for pre-renewal if you pay attention to Ratemyserver. A lot of requests I see for servers, people are asking for pre-renewal rather then renewal.

But, there is nothing wrong with adding a conf file to enable/disable Renewal/Pre-renewal features. Thus, rAthena will have the best of both worlds.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  164

Of course there is demand for pre-Renewal servers.

However, if an admin wants a pre-Renewal server, they should use eAthena. That is its goal, after-all. This is - supposedly - Renewal Athena. The focus should not be pre-Renewal. As stated - developers will soon realize how difficult it is to maintain a pre-Renewal branch (and keep it updated) - simply because all updates are meant for Renewal. There is no pre-Renewal equivalent for any of the new content. (You may notice in eAthena, many new items with verified itemscripts are left out, because there is no pre-Renewal equivalent.)

My point is that keeping a pre-Renewal branch is unnecessary and counter-productive. However, the admins/developers/community are free to do as they wish.

(Yes, if rAthena developers are able to pull it off - great!)

Edited by rayn
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  198

Thinking about name of community and purpose, ryan is right.

But the ideal would be to keep two branches, focusing on renewal or do as i said, creating flags.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  427

I think, it is worth keeping the pre-Renewal branch, because we may find exploits, crashers, which needs to be fixed on all servers, including pre-Renewal ones.

Edited by xazax

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19

I love the idea about to just ditch pre-renewal, and just keep with Renewal and leave pre-renewal for eAthena, but mainly i'm most interested in stuff like:

- The complete removal of TXT from rAthena.

- Stop supporting old clients, (The amount of #if is insane on clif.c due the support of old clients).

- Drop the support of VC 6, 7, 8, since "almost" no one uses that except for a few guys which i can count with my hand.

- Removal of unused code as the effect rain and other stuff.

- Improve the eAthena script engine with some mods which were added time ago by a few users which greatly improve the way to make scripts.

- Decide if we're going to follow kRO or iRO, cause eAthena is a mix between kRO and iRO. I didn't see anything added from kRO to eAthena since 2006 far as i remember, except by a few items. Since mostly of information and data has been gathered from iRO and leaks of cRO,

Regards,

Edited by JakeRed
  • Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  55

- Decide if we're going to follow kRO or iRO, cause eAthena is a mix between kRO and iRO. I didn't see anything added from kRO to eAthena since 2006 far as i remember, except by a few items. Since mostly of information and data has been gathered from iRO and leaks of cRO,

In my honest opinion, we should follow iRO. Sure, kRO gets updated faster than iRO (only because that is Gravity's primary server), but because iRO's updates are delayed, they get the finalized, balanced updates. iRO didn't get third classes until kRO finished them and Renewal (I know of a few friends who play kRO complaining about how ridiculous they were upon being introduced in comparison to now). And that's how it should be. kRO creates the content, perfects it, iRO receives the finalized product, fixes any possible glitches or abuses, eA/rA receives that finalized information and implements (for once) content that isn't ridiculously broken.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  197

I love the idea about to just ditch pre-renewal, and just keep with Renewal and leave pre-renewal for eAthena, but mainly i'm most interested in stuff like:

- The complete removal of TXT from rAthena.

- Stop supporting old clients, (The amount of #if is insane on clif.c due the support of old clients).

- Drop the support of VC 6, 7, 8, since "almost" no one uses that except for a few guys which i can count with my hand.

- Removal of unused code as the effect rain and other stuff.

- Improve the eAthena script engine with some mods which were added time ago by a few users which greatly improve the way to make scripts.

Regards,

I agree 100 percent with everything stated.

As for which server to be used, I Think IRO should be used. I suggested this a couple time on EA boards and the commented would be ignored and/or go off-topic.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1195

In my honest opinion, we should follow iRO. Sure, kRO gets updated faster than iRO (only because that is Gravity's primary server), but because iRO's updates are delayed, they get the finalized, balanced updates. iRO didn't get third classes until kRO finished them and Renewal (I know of a few friends who play kRO complaining about how ridiculous they were upon being introduced in comparison to now). And that's how it should be. kRO creates the content, perfects it, iRO receives the finalized product, fixes any possible glitches or abuses, eA/rA receives that finalized information and implements (for once) content that isn't ridiculously broken.

Is not how it works, iRO is still and has been changing their 3rd classes with buffs and nerfs for months now (as has kRO). iRO does not usually obtain the finalized balanced product and even if it does, they sometimes change it to suit their own needs!

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  967

for me

lets just stick with kRO

since their renewal and implementations is better

than iRO as i can see

comparing kRO and iRO Updates

iRO do alot of updates with Renewal

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  55

Please read my posts word for word.

iRO receives the finalized product, fixes any possible glitches or abuses

This can apply to almost anything, and being a player on iRO, iRO doesn't make that many changes to the classes themselves. Possible content? Yes. Quests and items? Yes. As far as it goes, that's pretty much how the process works, which is why iRO has a general wait time of a year or more after kRO has released the content.

As far as it goes for mechanics, iRO's updates are the exact same as kRO's, but typically, as I said, without the glitches, which is why RODoddler (a spokesman for iRO who receives major updates from kRO) uses kRO to speak for iRO, as the changes that are made are never huge.

Edited by Aurora

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1

good to see you guys/girls finally moved and merging with others to become better community/developers working together will make yeah guys stronger as one giant RO MVP with max status! :) *claps* lets hope everything will be active not so inactive lol

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  13

Finally !

Good Luck ! :)

• Content Count:  1

Removing old client support is a plus and cleaning the code too.

• Content Count:  33

boov.jpg

Some people love to think that because something doesn't work that the rest isn't working too lol

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  197

just curious, so when is the merge of Ro resource SVN supposed to be merged ?

• Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1195

It is being started as we speak =p

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  615

Yes, we were awaiting Ind's recovery, which has now happened... We are now (or should I say) Ind is now, merging...

• Upvote 1