eAthena Sakrayish Test Server! For Developers :O

Mercurial

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  241

so you probably understand the title already :)

So why not have a eAthena Live Test Server for developers?

Where eAthena community / Staff can get in test out new commits and stuff! Ofcourse everyone will be aware that it will be updated/offline/wipe daily and all. This can also be our "IRC Channel" (lol), where everyone can talk/chat and discuss :)

Just like sakray? :)

Ofcourse will need a VPS to play with so anyone can donate a VPS to our eA Admins XD

What you guys think?

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2223

I might be nice, but personally I prefer testing on localhost because I can edit, @unloadnpc, @loadnpc faster, and compile faster too. If it was a VPS, uploading would take some seconds more.

If someone is donating server resources, my vote would be to setup a Build Bot. :)

About a "public eAthena server": Do you want eAthena to have a eAthenaRO Server?

Yeah no.

Like I said, do some searching, although a lot of topics might have ended up in the trashcan.

It's been tried AT LEAST 4 times by my count, with the longest implementation being about 6 months long with a huge failure and abandoning of the project. It was mainly supposed to be an eAthena test bed for the developers, and that should be the ONLY reason an 'official eAthena server' would be set up. Developers got ansy and then people started putting eAOS (eAthena Official Server) on topsites and then it just became a whore for money, exactly what dooms 99% of the rest of the already too many servers out there.

There is no point in doing this, because as I mentioned before, there are already thousands of servers that are equally as failboat as an official server would be, so why don't you run along and play one of those.

As someone who has seen eAOS fail so many times in the past, I personally will come to your house and stab you in the eye with a blade server should you try and push this idea any farther.

People will probably keep their same stance on that idea, but who knows? new staff :)

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  318

Yeah, with the new staff members, perhaps this can be feasible. Though, I would not consider this to be the major aspect that we should be focusing on. However, it would be pretty cool to have a test server with updated edits for the eAthena community to see later on (based off of SVNs that will be released/updated from the core developers team).

We probably all know that there's one public test server that mostly worked out well so far, but such a test server can be pushed further with the right staff members maintaining it. That would require a lot of time and dedication, perhaps from staff members that do not own a server if we want this idea to be carried through.

• Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  967

eA Sakray sucks

xD

since people can already do test via localhost

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  2244

guess its not happening

I would not mind this...IF, AND ONLY IF:

* Said server is not open to the public

* Testers will be chosen out of the forums (they would need to apply and be accepted by the development team/administration)

* All devs and all admins would have root privileges to this VPS/dedi

* The test server would remain private (probably set up some forums where testers can collaborate straight with the developers). It would not be mentioned on RMS or any top sites.

* Client construction would be the end users responsibility based on what revision the test bed is running (eAthena will not build clients to test). We'll give you the SVN version of the server and the IP. Testers will need to put together their own clients.

Sounds good :)

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  615

Agreed... Open to the public just sounds retarded...

However, a core group of "accepted" - testers sounds like a fine idea...

On top of that, just because we have the "localhost" test, does not mean, that we thought of everything to test... I suggest putting it on a server like this, to get more "eyes" on the project... perhaps they found a flaw, or a bug... people find ways around things... that's for sure...

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  70

I think it´d work but only with the conditions that Jguy said. If the server is open to public then we all know is going to be a failure...

if a Tester Group will be created

that will be good

i love Doing some Test~ xD

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  318

Yeah, testing group would be great, and it will reduce the amount of complaints/errors owners face when they use files provided from this board.

Well, I think what needs to happen, is there needs to be structure to the testing...

(aka Phasing)

• Phase One - "Something New Implemented" || Phase ? - Modified
  • Announcement to Beta Team
  • Server Online (During Beta Hours)
  • Beta Team (Tests Fully For Say ~2 Hours)
  • Server Offline
  • Beta Team Reports Any Problems
  • If Problems, Addressed in a New Beta Phase Test (Repeat)
  • -> Repeat

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  764

@Z3RO:

Why put the server offline after testing? Was it just started to enable testing?

Why don't you create a script that looks for new SVN commits. If there is a new commit, the revision will be downloaded and testers will be informed, than the new revision gets compiled and started.

I guess you wouldn't have to turn it off... but, rather than give people a place to "play" which is what I see would end up happening, you make it a place of "work" beta testing, doesn't mean... "Oh sweet, I can do whatever I want all day long..." it's used primarily for trying to find bugs in the said problem...

I just see it end up being a playground if it's 24x7

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  186

I guess you wouldn't have to turn it off... but, rather than give people a place to "play" which is what I see would end up happening, you make it a place of "work" beta testing, doesn't mean... "Oh sweet, I can do whatever I want all day long..." it's used primarily for trying to find bugs in the said problem...

If we allow only specific members aka "beta tester" to join the server, i dont think could be happen.

If its puplic access, of course, this will end up as a playground :)

Anyways, i think this could be nice idea, if we had everything done right, i.e. a build bot.

• Upvote 1

People would also have to realize that said server may not be accessible all the time.

I would also push for testers to be somewhat active on the bugtracker, both before and during the time of being a tester.

I would also push that all testers have some sort of GM access or super high rates or something to help test mechanics at a higher level. there is nothing worse than having to level up on a test server. :)

Thats a really good idea, when can then have some "Bugs Found" Score chart :)

Top #1 Bug finder - Mercurial :)

I can also help with the auto update/compile scripts but I guess Brian does this already with his amazing cron army XD

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  764

If we allow only specific members aka "beta tester" to join the server, i dont think could be happen.

If its puplic access, of course, this will end up as a playground :)

That's exactly what i thought. :)

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  24

Eventually, kids grow tired of the same toy unless they get some sort of a reward for playing with it. Maybe recognition in the forums? Special privileges to those who can prove themselves worthy or worth it.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  112

I would not mind this...IF, AND ONLY IF:

* Said server is not open to the public

* Testers will be chosen out of the forums (they would need to apply and be accepted by the development team/administration)

* All devs and all admins would have root privileges to this VPS/dedi

* The test server would remain private (probably set up some forums where testers can collaborate straight with the developers). It would not be mentioned on RMS or any top sites.

* Client construction would be the end users responsibility based on what revision the test bed is running (eAthena will not build clients to test). We'll give you the SVN version of the server and the IP. Testers will need to put together their own clients.

This should be the only criteria. The only time I can think of needing more than myself to help test something is a skill.

• Upvote 1

i agree

those criteria is well said

anyways

if a test server will be implemented

one thing not to forget is to disable some configs for

others people to connect/register to the server

btw

who will do the hosting?

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  109

Its pretty pointless to even allow the public to login I know with the test server the I use normal players can't access it due to client restrictions because otherwise i'll be trying to test something and they'll be screwing around with only god knows what and causes the server to crash and then i have no idea if it was what i was doing or whether it was something stupid they did with a gm command they had or whatever. But I was only adding input I'm not asking to be on the tester team since I have enough trouble with my test server as it is xD!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1

I have an unused VPS sitting around gathering dust that I wouldn't mind giving up for a few months just to see how this goes until I need it. If interested, admins pm me and we can discuss.

• Upvote 1

there we go ! , lets do eeeet!

wait... not so fast

how about Access and Administration with the test server?

will staff agree to use other people's host?

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2223

(Yes, of course the developers would need access to the server.)

The original suggestion has been answered: yes we will have some sort of development test server. I am closing this topic now. When it is up and running, if we need additional help we will make an announcement.

Thanks for the hosting offers. If we need any more help, we will keep them in mind and contact or make an announcement, or you can send a PM to one of the staff. Thanks!