Debian Installation (installation transition from windows)

kilow

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  41

Hi people,

recently i would like to host my server and i saw that for choosing windows server i must have a windows server license wich is expensive.
So i'm installing Debian and i would like to keep all my work based on windows OS.
Is it possible to recompile directly ? Should i restart all ( because some source /setting has changed and don't remember all )
Thank you

8 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31

You should recompile only when you change source files inside the `src` folder and of course you need to restart your server after each compilation. But that shouldn't be a thing you need to do very often. You're probably going to compile the source once and that's it.

The `.conf` files and `.txt` files can be modified easily with notepad, vim, or your favorite plain text editor. You also need to restart your server after these changes to be sure. It's not always 100% neccessary though. You can use the in-game at-commands to reload NPCs and a lot of other things:

https://github.com/rathena/rathena/blob/master/doc/atcommands.txt#L1376

You should not have issues working with Windows and then deploying to linux. I do have my own fork of rAthena's repo and a few deployment scripts I can run in my linux with Docker Compose to run the server while I do some modifications to the source or make my NPC scripts in Windows. You just need to know how to use a version control like Git.

Here's my base docker image to compile rAthena:

https://gitlab.com/asier_paz/rathena-base

I've added a quick guide in the README to get started. Note that since you're going to run the server inside a Docker container, your actual machine only has to have Docker installed and that's it. Hope this helps someone.

Edited by DorekoNeko

@DorekoNeko
Thank you for the answer. When i 'm reading your post, i understand that finally i don't really need to have linux on my computer to make the server run on hoster with linux?
Once is setted up, if i install mysql, apache etc on the hoster, the server should be run, even if i maded it on windows?
thank you

4 minutes ago, kilow said:

@DorekoNeko
Thank you for the answer. When i 'm reading your post, i understand that finally i don't really need to have linux on my computer to make the server run on hoster with linux?
Once is setted up, if i install mysql, apache etc on the hoster, the server should be run, even if i maded it on windows?
thank you

As long as we're talking about rAthena, yes. It doesn't matter if you modify source code on windows as long as you compile the server in the target system afterwards. Install docker in the linux server of your choice and follow the instructions in the repository I linked above.

The compilation part is actually only needed once if you don't modify the source code and instead only modify the conf files.

ok, thank you.
Acces is based on request (your link), so i will wait the access, if i understood.
I didn't understood, that new for me. So this docker image is used to run rathena server on the hoster? I can't load your docker but i tried with one of an other topic but i'm still lost. I don't see any guide for hosting a server on dedicaced server from zero. I know some hoster are specialized on ragnarok online host but i would like to host my server on hoster which run with sustanaible energy. That's why this step is difficult for me.

Edited by kilow

10 hours ago, kilow said:

ok, thank you.
Acces is based on request (your link), so i will wait the access, if i understood.
I didn't understood, that new for me. So this docker image is used to run rathena server on the hoster? I can't load your docker but i tried with one of an other topic but i'm still lost. I don't see any guide for hosting a server on dedicaced server from zero. I know some hoster are specialized on ragnarok online host but i would like to host my server on hoster which run with sustanaible energy. That's why this step is difficult for me.

About the access to the repository, check again. I forgot to save some settings.

About the rest:

Docker is not needed in any way to run rAthena. I just mentioned it because it's easier.

Docker lets you reproduce environments easily. It's like building a lego house once and being able to rebuild it exactly the same anywhere and at any time without effort.

Any hosting provider will work as long as they can sell you a server with Linux. Just pick one close to where your players are going to be located (geographically speaking) to keep the latency at a minimum.

Ok i understand, that's a good news, i tried to add the a docker from an other topic but after it were been installed, a command doesn't match.
So I want to test yours but the docker link don't display your file for creating environment. ( For installing your Docker file ).

Your link is to create a Docker, i understand now. I believed it was as a docker from an other topic.
So i need linux to use all command to create this Docker. Does your guide include fluxcp?
You say Docker is not need in anyway to run rAthena but it's easyer for reproduce environment. And that is where i 'm lost on hosting.

@DorekoNeko

image.png.aa256827df101f11ca2b54c7dd47ea19.png
I have something like this in my environment. The rAthena's server is in the load balancer. When i start the server it's say no login ( related to the database ). 
The databse is in SQL Database but it seems that the container is not related to the load balancer. Moreover, when i tried to understand how to set environment with the docker file of forum's member, the apache2 and mysql was in only one containers. It means that i need to install mysql and apache with commands? Or is it possible to run server with this configuration?

You can't connect from a container to the host network. That's probably why rAthena can't connect to MySQL. 

Assuming your load balancer is just a debian server, you can follow the steps in the README of the repository I mentioned in earlier posts ignoring the MySQL setup with Docker (since you already have one).

You will need to make a small modification to the `run` command of your server like this:

sudo docker run -it --network host -v 6900:6900 -v 5121:5121 -v 6121:6121 --name=my-running-server my-cool-server

This `--network host` option will allow the Docker container to use the host's network, so you will be able to access your MySQL server, which is outside Docker.

The last part I didn't understand very well. But I think for a generic answer I'll say it depends. You can have all the services (MySQL, Apache, rAthena, etc...) in the same server or split in multiple servers. Moreover, you can have all of them split in multiple containers in the same server. So it depends on what do you want to do.

Ok thank you. I see that create container is more expensive than put all software that i need for the server. I made i basic installation on the Debian container.