To the Math Lovers

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  112

I've loved digging into video game design by working on RO stuff. Right now, I'm working on balanced enemies. I'm looking for a formula that will allow me to increase an enemy's power compared to player level. I originally thought it would be a simple "boost all stats by 50% and it's a 50% power boost over the player," but that's not true mathematically. If I boost HP by 50% and I boost attack by 50%, the enemy now has 125% boost over the player ( 1.5 x 1.5 = 2.25 (minus 1 from 100% base power)). Anyone know a formula that would allow me to take a number of stats and apply the same boost to each of them so that if I wanted a 10% overall power boost against the player it would work (or a 50% boost or a 100% boost)? I'm doing this likely for monsters as they level, but I also plan to make different ranks of monsters- minion, lieutenant, boss type of stuff-  so there is more variety on each map. I imagine fractions would be the easiest to use, because I've found using fractions has helped immensely in powering balancing so far for me.

Edited by Humble_Bee