Things to know as server owner

lowkey

Question

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  15

Hi new to the scene and want to build my own private server. I have a few questions and would greatly and thankfully appreciate your help. First let me explain my situation and background. Im a Computer Science graduate and will not have any problems learning a new language or programming methods. I will be the server owner and if I can learn everything by myself I will also be the developer as well, but if not I will hire a developer.

1. What are the things I should know as a server owner? I've read some posts that there are cases that the developer will sometimes swindle the server owner for server profits. What are things that I should be aware of with my server? I've done my research that      a) I should atleast know how item properties/effects works and their code structure. b) reading some server logs, trade logs, anything more?

2. Does the developer have the full access to my server, specifically sql? because here is where you can change your GM lvl to make use of the @item command. right? (correct me if im wrong)

3.  Does the server host have also full access to my server?

4. What are the payments to be made every month? did I miss something? And can you give me a rough estimate for a player of 500 players

• Server host
  • Website host/forums
  • Gameguard
  • Developer(monthly or one time payment)
  • Advertisements

i still have a few technical stuffs but for now these come first.

5 answers to this question

• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136

Just purchase a VPS / Server Host on DigitalOcean, Vultr, OVH which cost around 10$ - 20$ to put your server online. Ideal Server Specification is located on our Github rA to Test the waters if you'll have a lots of player then purchase a Dedicated Server. Domain is 15$ - 20$ per year. Web Host is 10$ Monthly for a Server Developer there is a Third Party Services here on our Forum which you could contact and transact with them with ease because they're certified for Game Guard which is Gepard Shield you can contact @Functor for information regarding his prices.

As for Advertisement. Facebook is one the most useful for advertising a server which you can do it on your own or you could hire some here on Server Jobs Available also.

• Love 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  211

1) Well, someone can add backdoor for creating items and selling them (RMT). Server script side or site side.

2) If you give them password for sql - yes, they can do it. Also they can do it with script.

3) Yes.

4)

• server - 60$/m
  • domain com - 20$/year(?)
  • gg - 15000$/year
  • Developer - don't know
  • Advertisements - don't know

Edited by botka4aet

On 1/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, botka4aet said:

1) Well, someone can add backdoor for creating items and selling them (RMT). Server script side or site side.

2) If you give them password for sql - yes, they can do it. Also they can do it with script.

3) Yes.

4)

• server - 60$/m
  • domain com - 20$/year(?)
  • gg - 15000$/year
  • Developer - don't know
  • Advertisements - don't know

1.) what are the ways to avoid these kind of problems? can you give me an idea? im thinking they could make a script only the developer knows.

2.) im fully aware with this like sql injection right? but isnt the job of the host to ward off these kind of attacks? like DDOS attacks? for what i know sql injection will find its way during DDOS attacks right?

3.) im finding a reliable and trusted host

4.) GG? seriously? even the basic package cost this much?

22 minutes ago, Gerzzie said:

Just purchase a VPS / Server Host on DigitalOcean, Vultr, OVH which cost around 10$ - 20$ to put your server online. Ideal Server Specification is located on our Github rA to Test the waters if you'll have a lots of player then purchase a Dedicated Server. Domain is 15$ - 20$ per year. Web Host is 10$ Monthly for a Server Developer there is a Third Party Services here on our Forum which you could contact and transact with them with ease because they're certified for Game Guard which is Gepard Shield you can contact @Functor for information regarding his prices.

As for Advertisement. Facebook is one the most useful for advertising a server which you can do it on your own or you could hire some here on Server Jobs Available also.

thanks for the input my good sir

• Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  241

Here's my own experience, still not a pro but, maybe it could be useful to you.

SERVER HOSTING
For Learning - Digital Ocean as they offer a $100 worth of free credits, good for 2 months.
                     - Down side if you wish this to be your main hosting provider, I believe they don't offer DDOS protection and mitigation out of the bat
                     - Another good thing is they charge you on a usage basis, so if you wish to destroy the VPS you are not charged for the remaining month.

For Going Live - OVH, I highly recommend this as they offer DDOS Protection and auto mitigation upon your purchase
                        - You are automatically charged for the full month

DOMAIN and WEB HOSTING
- There are alot of domain hosting providers out there, but I suggest since you are still learning, get a web hosting provider that offers monthly billing and of course free SSL, one is HostMantis who offers free SSL.
- You will need this for your registration if you go live, hence you can just turn on creation of new accounts on your game login window on your conf setup.
- Flux CPanel is Free.

GAMEGUARD
- You got no other option but Gepard, contact Functor. AVG of $255 one time payment.
- If you are still developing, you don't need this.

DEV
- Check third party services

ADVERTISEMENT
- Facebook is one of the best, You control your reach and daily spending
- You can advertise your server here on rAthena.
- Ratemyserver is another
- and the top gaming sites which I'm not sure if they are still effective.

Edited by Almond Snicker
Accidental entry
  • Love 1