Unmanage VPS

LewL

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  84

Which is better Digital Ocean or OVH? and what are the pro's and con's?

btw my players are from SEA.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  298

they are good both in development stage, but i suggest get a dedicated server with higher frequency for production or a vps with high frequency cpus, most of the vps there are for development purpose mainly on application, website etc.

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3122

1 hour ago, Azhul said:

Which is better Digital Ocean or OVH? and what are the pro's and con's?

btw my players are from SEA.

There aren't really pros and cons anymore to well known hosts, Really it just boils down to price and whether or not they provide adequate support.

51 minutes ago, Vy Low said:

they are good both in development stage, but i suggest get a dedicated server with higher frequency for production or a vps with high frequency cpus, most of the vps there are for development purpose mainly on application, website etc.

You don't need to waste money on a dedicated server to run rAthena. You should know that ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  298

1 minute ago, Akkarin said:

There aren't really pros and cons anymore to well known hosts, Really it just boils down to price and whether or not they provide adequate support.

You don't need to waste money on a dedicated server to run rAthena. You should know that ? 

i know, but if you have the budget, i still prefer dedicated server, been running servers like for more than 10 years now, even now im using dedicated server on my server, alot of unwanted experience on shared vps when the node are experiencing ddos, high cpu usage etc. Just sharing my experience.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  477

I used OVH, Digital Ocean and Vultr for server.. I tried this 3 and all I can say.. their performance is almost the same. yes almost.. OVH have all it's VPS, Dedicated Server DDoS Protected while Vultr Asian Servers don't have.. but Vultr Provides BGP configuration which also has ups and downs.. I've been to digital ocean last 2 years but all I can say is.. They are mediocre, Price and Performance based.

As Akkarin Says.. You really don't need dedicated server just to run the server.. but the downside non-dedicated servers are shared resources, if the main server goes down, your server goes down too, but that's just mostly not the case anymore on hosting industry.. The good side on shared VPS is, it will just cost you a penny and still can run your server.. good for small time servers.

As for Vy Low says.. If you have the budget and you are expecting a lot of players.. Dedicated server is the best choice as you are the only one using your server resources.. The downside is yeah it just Cost you 10x or more than the VPS monthly. and yes just sharing my experience too. you will mostly lag on vps not like dedicated server :3

• Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1511

As I concern :

Digital Ocean doesnt have good DDoS Mitigation (provided for FREE) compare to OVH. OVH have their DDoS Mitigation mostly FREE for their VPS/Server users.

Sometimes OVH have network priority issue so ISP need to tackle down this too so that latency = better.

And both are unmanaged, so support are quite slow except you're subscribing OVH support services which costly. Remember they are Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) so dont rely so much from them except issues from their infra (sometimes it takes 2-3 days for them to reply tickets).

Another follow up question. if i order the cheapest VPS that OVH offer for development phase: 

Untitled.png.9e9935dfa15b0462c155dd38210d75ee.png

Would i be able to upgrade it after my development phase for server deployment/RO server opening?

And do i have to change or do something if upgrade is possible on my server/clientside.

• Group:  Forum Manager
  • Topic Count:  282
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3122

To be honest, OVH's website has those answers, but yes they provide upgrade paths, and no you don't need to change anything once upgraded.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 11:13 PM, Akkarin said:

To be honest, OVH's website has those answers, but yes they provide upgrade paths, and no you don't need to change anything once upgraded.

i must be blind not seing those things on their website, anyways thanks akkarin ?

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  477

Just a little reminder.. you cannot downgrade a vps once you upgrade it not like cloud servers which are much flexible but a bit costly.